“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

GIRL READING BOOK_commission


[27.9 x 35.6cm/11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board] 




This was a pre-show commission for the recently passed EMERALD CITY COMIC CON.

It didn't take that long to conceptualize, but it took nearly all night (in the privacy and sadness of my convention hotel room) to render. I knew the girl was going to be pretty standard, but I was genuinely worried how well the leaves/background would turn out - I wasn't 100% sure that it's readability would be as straightforward as I had thought when I first roughed the sketch in.

The good thing is that the person who asked for it was very happy. At the end of the day, that's what matters most - customer satisfaction.


All that said, this upcoming weekend, I have another convention in my schedule. On March 15-17, MEGACON will be in Orlando, FL. To those who can make it to the show, it'd be a great pleasure to meet you, face to face - just look for the row of the purple banners that is ESSENTIAL SEQUENTIAL. I am also accepting pre-show commissions for this shwo via requests sent to my art dealer, JASON SCHACHTER . Please drop him a line with the specifics of your request, and and he'll be able to help you with all the details.

My sincerest thanks to all those who visited my table a couple of weeks ago in Seattle. That was the most intense Emerald City convention I'd ever been to and I had a ton of fun.

1 comment:

aintshakespeare said...

I think the leaves turned out great. Nice piece.