“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, November 05, 2012

THE ROCKETEERS_update


[6 x 9" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]


[6 x 9" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]


[6 x 9" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]


[6 x 9" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]


[6 x 9" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]




Here are the Rocketeer images I managed to draw for this past weekend's LONG BEACH COMIC CON. I did six in total including the one from the previous blog entry.

The lady dressed in the Rocketeer uniform was requested by a buyer at the lat second - I'd seen variations on that theme in previous cons and thought they were quite clever and fetching. And considering I'd never drawn that version before, I thought it'd be a decent challenge. But you know what? Just after I put down the last line in blue pencil before I went to COPICS then inks, I realized how terribly bored I was of the idea already. The saving grace of the exercise was to try and draw a different face shape than I had drawn in the past. On that front, I found it very engaging and exhilarating. I'd never actively drawn rounder, heart-shaped faces before - that was a nice change of pace.

Dammit all to hell if I didn't remember to put the intake vents on the sides of the helmet. I fail at design recollection and as a rocket backpack fan all together, I guess.

Thanks to all those how dropped by, bought the images and comics, and who showed their support for my work. I had a good time at the con. Now for some sleep.

1 comment:

Frankie Rodriguez said...

So how much would you ask for those as a larger set for framing? Like 11 x 14