“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

CLEOPATRA_update

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]



I had promised this image to MS. LIANA HEE a couple of years ago. I attempted to finish it at this year's CTN ANIMATION EXPO, but unfortunate my efforts were foiled by the wrong sort of bristol paper - which made it VERY difficult (if not completely impossible) to blend the gray tones together in a decent manner.

I was frustrated all day and was almost inconsolable despite CASSANDRA POULSON'S efforts in trying to cheer me up and keep me focused on the show.

I guess I get really put off when I've made up my mind to start drawing something - with the objective of finishing by a certain amount of time - only to be put in a situation where I can't do just that because... well... for whatever reason. And this was one of those times.

Anyway, I stepped away from it for a while. I was actually compelled to do so because of other assignments that were looming. But in doing that, it forced me to get some much-needed perspective. It's like this: Just as much as I wanted to have the image done so that I could give it to Liana before the show ended and she had to travel back home, I realized that I'd rather give her something that I can really say I took my time with, an image that I put as much polish as I could, and that I didn't rush it for the sake of finishing.

So there it is.

I'd like to thank Liana for her patience in waiting for this thing for as long as she has. It was a lot of fun to do and I did so much learning in the process of doing it. It has SO man little areas that required me to make decisions regarding how and when to render and when to just leave it alone. I'm not sure I hit everything I wanted to do with 100% efficiency, but I think the exercise was a fantastic way to challenge myself - to wrap my mind around all the little puzzles that required problem solving.



I hope everyone has a fine Thanksgiving celebration and that you're all spending your time with the people you care about.

11 comments:

Kriyani said...

Nice work man. I like the illustration. It was nice meeting at CTNXpo, and thanks for the tips on my portfolio review.
Be free to check my weblog.
Happy thanksgiving.

Fabrice

Max Gon said...

love it. especially the texture in the more loosely inked areas.

Jeff Lafferty said...

Beautiful piece!

Andr-X said...

Awesome Stuff!

estetik said...

It’s hard to search out educated folks about this subject, however everyone appear to be you know exactly what you’re speaking related to! Thanks..
Estetik

Yüz Germe said...

However a significant topic to have more clued up on considering this year also just what it might dictate.
Yüz Germe

Rinoplasti said...

Your site is quite interesting and very well written. I like the way it is organized and presented. Very concise and articulate.
Rinoplasti

Septori noplasti said...

Great post! Will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the info!
Septorinoplasti

odisha realestate said...

Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks.
odisha real estate

Genital estetik said...

this is really a nice post . i enjoy this post very much
Kızlık zarı
Genital estetik

Scott Underwood said...




i like very much




















youtube mp3