“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, November 05, 2012

AURA_commission

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]




"I was thinking Ming's daughter from Flash Gordon."

After explaining my "In The Spirit Of.." policy, the patron thought  about it a moment and that was what they had said to me.

Which was great because I had an affinity for  actress ORNELLA MUTI'S rendition of PRINCESS AURA from the FLASH GORDON movie (c'mon - MAX VON SYDOW is abad ass Emperor Ming the Merciless), and to say that I has a massive crush on her would be understating things a bit. Yikes!

I was excited to take on the commission and I was pretty satisfied with the results. More importantly, I believe that the person who asked for the image was also very pleased.

Win/win all around.

1 comment:

Scott Quick said...

As per the crush- you 'n me both, brother ....