“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, October 04, 2012

OOO_commission

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]




When the guy first asked me for the commission of this character, I went into my whole sound clip of how I don't do © and ™anymore. Then he showed me his reference of the characters, as well as all the other permutations of the KAMEN RIDER. That's when it dawned on me that by doing my take, I'd inevitably end up drawing another version of this character who was already pre-existing in that very colorful universe of his. So instead, I decided to just draw the guys as-is and hopefully my style gave me enough nuance that it could still be considered my 'interpretation'.

 If not, there goes that whole "In The Spirit Of..." thing that I've been so proud of all these months.


Well... there goes that. Anyway, I love his belt.

No comments: