“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, October 22, 2012

HYPERMETAL WING_90 minutes

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]




Here's the finished image from the video above. Tons of fun to do. Had issues with the over all composition, but in 90 minutes, I really didn't have much room to negotiate the space. Actually, to be perfectly honest - this thing was done in about 1 hour 07 minutes. So I guess I did have the time... just not the inclination.

Sigh.

You know, the more legitimate I try to be - with posting videos, marker renderings, limited editions prints, staying away from ™and © characters, etc. - the more I reveal I'm nothing but a flimflam artist.

Welcome to the smoke and mirrors show, ladies and gentlemen.

3 comments:

the thomas wilson said...

Once again your humble attitude is in direct contrast with your talents. If only your ego was on par with your talents then I may have a reason not to be a fan. Keep up the great work. That piece is stunning.

shane walsh said...

I'd rather experience You're "smoke and mirrors" than the majority of the tedium out there, Pro or otherwise. Keep it up and I really appreciated the insightful video too!

irissom said...

I actually really like this composition. But then again I'm not exactly a legitimate or accredited art appreciator of any sort (hahhhhh).
But as someone who follows your work and is a fan, watching you draw this in an hour was such a pleasure and only increased my respect for your work and your ability to make something of this level in that time frame. It's ok to feel dissatisfied though, I think. It'll only push you to try harder and get better I guess (or hope? haha).