“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, October 04, 2012

VINTAGE SOLDIER_commission

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]




I have a book called BRIGHTWORK which explores a lot of classic American car ornamentation. That's the main inspiration for this image.

The challenge at the moment was: "Don't give the guy the front hood of a car." Which, on my first pass, is exactly what I did - only to realize in horror that he sort of looked like a Transformer from the 1950's. SO back to the drawing board I went and this is what I cam'e up with.

Maybe it still looks like a vintage car, but to me it looks more like a vintage refrigerator.


That sort of gave me a good inner chuckle when I thought of it at the convention.


No comments: