“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, September 10, 2012

THE SUPER HUMAN_kickstarter

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]




How ridiculous does this look, and how laughable is this concept?

I'd come to the conclusion last night as I was inking this (and consider by 'last night' I actually mean '2AM in the morning' - so I may have been a bit punchy) that I found as much entertainment drawing grotesque proportions on men as I do on women. Go figure.

I was basing a bit of this character from former WWE wrestling super star SCOTT STEINER. I remember him coming into the ring (with his wrestling partner Rick) and he often wore that greco roman wrestling head gear. I always thought he looked like a super hero. Then later on, when Scott showed up in WCW wearing a chain mail head dress and flexing his other-worldly muscle development that one can only assume came from the end of a needle - well, I was pretty convinced he was an alien. An awesome, super hero alien, that is!

Anyhoo... this image was inspired by a combination of those two versions of that man-behemoth. Come to think of it, I should've included that very distinct mustache and beard with trademarked blonde stripe down the middle of his chin. But that might've been too on the nose.




PS - The phallic, dildo-like quality that is his head, neck and shoulder area was unintentional. But certainly a very hilarious, welcomed accident.

1 comment:

dogboy443 said...

The Steiner Bros. What a great wrestling team. Rick was somewhat normal around this time period, but afterwards he became a real ass and got into the NWO.