“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, September 14, 2012

SON OF STONE_update

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]




I'm a fan of contrasting concepts.

For example, I remember reading and being absolutely wowed by XENOZOIC TALES by MARK SCHULTZ. If you haven't seen any of the art form it, do yourself a favor and look for the trade paper back. You won't regret it. The best part for me was watching Schultz' style evolve from what he was doing in the beginning of the series to the finely honed illustrative style he was doing by issue #14. Really a marvel to behold.

Anyway, I think that's why I liked TUROK an awful lot back when it came out as a VALIANT title in the 90's; it was dinosaurs and Native Americans in a 'Lost Valley' where 'Time has no meaning'. That's pretty sweet! I was hooked on BART SEARS' art and the idea that dinosaurs were given artificial intelligence and was pit against our hero. To me, that was pretty wild. I went back later on to read all the previous issues from Dell and found the stories to be pretty charming considering their date.

I was at HEROES CON this year where I met editor JODY LEHEUP and he told me that he was onboard at the latest incarnation of Valiant and I explained to him that if he ever needed someone to do art for a Turok series to please consider me. I don't know if it will ever happen, and I think I may have been talking out of my ass considering I have absolutely no discipline when it comes to doing monthly comics, but I think that'd be a pretty fun job.

For somebody else.

That said, I'd better invent that human cloning machine soon so that I can have an army of me doing all the other things that my schedule won't allow for now due to my ridiculously heavy work load.

One can dream.



PS - My dear friend SARA RICHARD - an amazing artist who absolutely adores dinosaurs - will probably tar and feather me for drawing such a horrible rendition of... whatever that is I drew up there, but whatever. I had 90 minutes to draw this bad boy and it was all I could do to not get caught up in super-accurate details. Sorry, Sara!

6 comments:

Fabián Fucci said...

I love this! :-D

Thomas Perkins said...

That Turok IS FANTASTIC!!!!

ZZZ-Jewell said...

love it :) keep going i wanna se emore drawing if is it possible :)

R. George R. said...

Accurately detailed or not, that dino looks like he’s about to backhand the dude.

(Though he looks like he can take it.)

R. George R. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M.S. said...

Awesome Turok drawing. You really captured his spirit.