“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

SEA PRINCE_commission

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]




I really do tend make abominations out of characters in trying to avoid drawing the original request for copyrighted and trademarked IP's. I'm very fortunate that whoever it is that commissions me are ardent supporters of my work and my policies. Otherwise, I'd have people strangling the hell out of me for the way I bastardize their favorites.

My favorite part of the image is the shark-like gills lining his ribcage. Originally, I wanted to really flare them open as if they're expelling a lot of water as he's taking a big breathe, stroking his arm forward as he swam. But I edited that down because I didn't want him to look like a complete freak.

That said, I may've still made him look too extreme.

1 comment:

fedres said...

I love it! As I have told Jason, I am hoping to get something like an underwater valkyrie from you. I somehow think you will understand this request, although it really makes no sense.