“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

ARTEMIS_commission

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]




I'm finally starting to get through the remainder of this year's SDCC commissions list.

This one's for the very talented, very lovely FALYNN KOCH.

She (along with a handful of very loyal supporters) has been very patient with me and my semi-unforgiving schedule, and I wanted to really give her something that is worth that wait.

I was trying to channel as much GUSTAV KLIMT I could get away with without making it too obvious. I visited the 'THE MAGIC OF LINE' exhibition at the J. PAUL GETTY MUSEUM a while back and it really jumpstarted my fervor for pushing anatomic proportions even further (more than how I normally do already), for exploring the 'sexiness' of something based on the look and feel of certain shapes, and letting go of what is typically expected from commission style pin-up art.



My most sincere thanks to Falynn for holding her breath this long.

3 comments:

GOGOPEDRO said...

Really enjoy your posts man. Your compositional choices are fantastic to study and learn from..

P

Simone Figus said...

Beautiful illustration. Beautiful style.

Jennifer Lisak said...

Lovely work, as usual!