“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

ARACHNOID_commission

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]



This was the first attempt at drawing this character. After finishing this, DAVE JOHNSON - with his very meticulous and discerning eye - pointed out that this guy's left leg sort of resembled a penis. And of course, for the next few minutes that's all I saw as well.

Beyond all that, my concern was that perhaps because this was the first commission I tackled on my list, I didn't think the design through enough - that it came off too much like a 'first pass' attempt. I struggled with that as I was in the middle of the next image on my 'To-Do' list so I promised myself that if I had a bit more time, I'd take another stab at it. Luckily, some time presented itself.

I try not to second guess myself too much or else I'd never get anything done at these conventions, but I just couldn't help it this time around for some reason. What I learned from this experience is that (and this should be obvious, but I've never been accused of having much common sense) I should warm up a bit before I tackle a commission image so early in the convention - even if it's just drawing something simple like drawing a rock or a tree or something.

No comments: