“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

ARACHNOID...AGAIN_commission

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]



And so...

Feeling a bit uneasy of what I had drawn on my 'first pass', I decided to have another attempt at this commission.

This time I felt like I had an opportunity to round off the corners a bit more, that I had added enough nuance and narrative to his design, and that I had a batter understanding of what the character needed in order to read that his concept was descendant to that of an arachnid. Hell, I even put a spider on the rock hes standing on in order to drive the point home.

I then told my art representative JASON SCHACHTER that he should leave it up to the person who commissioned me as to which they'd prefer and have them pick that of the two.

And guess what? They picked the original pass I did.

Naturally.



The lesson there is: "STOP SECOND GUESSING YOURSELF, ERIC."

No comments: