“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Saturday, July 21, 2012

PIXIE & ANOLE_commission.

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]





A man whose sketchbook I had unintentionally lost a few years back (we are talking about 3+ years or so), after waiting what must have seemed to him as almost a life time and a half, e-mailed me a few weeks before SDCC and asked if I would finally draw what I had promised I would when we first came to terms as to how I would compensate him for the lost book and the collection of sketches inside. Losing that book is partially responsible for me to never ever draw inside some one's sketchbook where they're compelled to leave the item with me for pick up later. 

Being that I don't like being reminded of what an irresponsible jerk I can be sometimes (most of the time?), when they requested these characters, I was compelled to acquiesce regardless of my no commissions with copyrighted and trademarked characters. I mean, c'mon - I lost their sketchbook AND they waited for so long. It was the least I could do.

So, not knowing anything them, I tried to do my very best. The only challenge was that because I had very little information/background about either Pixie nor Anole, I had to somehow find motivation (outside of the fact that I owed this image to its commissioner) in order to maintain my immersion in the drawing process. For me, drawing a girl with pretty fairy wings and another kid that resembled a horned lizard - who BOTH wore that standard New Mutant varsity uniform that's been drawn over and over, ad nauseam - left very little for my imagination.

The saving grace was that I had never drawn either of these two so that I could then look at the experience and opportunity as a 'new' one - as in, "Well.. I've never drawn them before, so this should be interesting." And the challenge became about the exercise in rendering and poses. I guess, to that end, I had quite a bit of fun.

That said, I am so very grateful that the the person who commissioned me to do the image had stayed as patient and understanding for as long as they did. I am truly blessed by fans of my work who don't mind waiting, who tolerate my idiosyncrasies, and have remained loyal to me despite the fact that I'd forget my own head if it wasn't bolted onto my shoulders.


1 comment:

PHARAOH said...

NICE image even greater story behind it. I am very sensitive to the artwork of others..creativity is a very spiritual form..I can't imagine losing someone's sketchbook....how cool is that person though? Understanding is an understatement in this world of high stress and angst! I applaud and salute that FAN! I salute you for following through with professionalism, courage and just plain human responsibility...Keep it up & Stay Creative!