“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

THE ROYALS_commission

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]




One more off of the 'Delinquent' list. I wonder if I'm being too literal with the whole MEDUSA idea? I wasn't really paying attention to how on-the-nose I was until a friend pointed it out to me. To be perfectly honest, I was primarily concerned with the rendering on the guy's nose. Isn't that odd what I choosing to fixate on? And here's a thing: Recently, I've realized I can't seem to be bothered with 'big picture' stuff when it comes to drawing or rendering an image.

I know that sounds bad. I really do.

I know saying that is almost sacrilegious to all traditional artists, but my attention these days seem to be zoned in on or two (maybe three?) points of interest in any commission I do - and everything else is just (and this is the wrong word, so forgive me) - frivolous.

That's got to be something I need to be seriously worried about, right? Is there medication I can take to promote OCD? Because I genuinely think, based on my recent actions, I need that in a bad way. Okay, I'll worry about it a few images from now when I've cleared more off of this to-do list. Until then, you guys are gonna get the best rendered ears, or knuckle, or leather boots you're ever going to get from me.

Have a great week, all.



PS - What the hell is going on with that asymmetrical tuning fork on that guy's head? Don't ask me - I can't be bothered with it. 

4 comments:

Jason Quinones said...

whatever you think you're doing don't mess with it because it works.

your stuff always stands out from what everyone else is doing probably because you don't fixate on the big picture. you do what feels right to you and the picture as a result looks more "natural" even with your unique and somewhat abstract art style.

your literal translation of medusa with the all black snakes frames her body very nicely and to me the tuning fork still looks cool because it doesn't divert style wise from the rest of the picture. it all goes together.

and the shading around the nose is good too.

Lux said...

This is really SPECTACULAR!!!

She-Thing said...

No idea what you're talking about- this is beautiful! Always a fan of how you handle finishes and volumes. No forced styles or anything, this is just simply you.

She-Thing said...

No idea what you're talking about- this is beautiful! Always a fan of how you handle finishes and volumes. No forced styles or anything, this is just simply you.