“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

WIDOW BALLERINA_commission

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 100lb/300series bristol board]



I am not a very responsible artist because I took this commission around this time a year ago - probably at HEROESCON in Charlotte, NC - and I've barely put the finishing touches on it tonight.

If you are the owner of this BLACK WIDOW image, I'd like to thank you for your patience and continued support. I know you've been waiting all this time and I hope I've managed to give you something that you'll really be happy with.

Interpretations are funny, aren't they? I did some light reading on this character before I started the commission (considering I'd already done the 'spy' version of her so many times in the past that I wasn't really all that interested in playing that tune over and over again) and the only part of her history that really resonated to me was her brief experience as a ballerina. So that's what I went with. I mention the 'funny interpretations' part because of all the things that make this fictional character who she is, I don't know if anyone would go to the ballet dancer part first?

Who knows? My brain is really broken and not in a good way. Come to think of it, I should've done the CLAIRE VOYANT version. That would've definitely thrown everyone for a loop.

Anyway... enjoy. 

1 comment:

Jason Quinones said...

she has some really strong looking thighs! great shading (as always!) too.