“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

ROCKETEER ADVENTURES VOL.2_update

[9.25 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]


[9.25 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]


[9.25 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 100lb/300series bristol board]



The third issue in this volume's installment came out today. I didn't know because I am not hip and not current on the comic book scene. It is to say, I know nothing.

What I do know is that it was an honor and a pleasure to pay a tribute to the late, great DAVE STEVENS and his classic creation - both personal heroes of mine. I've loved the Rocketeer for as long as I could remember and it's all I could do not to squeal as I drew each page. It truly was, as best as I could draw without embarrassing myself too much, a love letter to what that character meant and felt to me when I was growing up.

And once again, I am saved from the chains of black and white mediocrity with the help of illustrator/designer CASSANDRA POULSON. She had to deal with a truncated deadline due to my inability to maintain a decent schedule. But not only did she come through with an artistic effort that rivals any seasoned veteran's (this was her very first professional coloring endeavor - cheers to her, eh?), but I believe she also gave each and every one of the pages the vintage and nostalgic aesthetic I was looking for. She's a trooper, took direction without pause, and worked her eyes bleary. I am proud to be associated with her. Visit the link above to her blog for a preview of the colored versions of the pages (sans dialog boxes) and I'm sure you're agree - she's formidable.

If you can, drop by your local comic book store and purchase yourself a copy. The book really did come out marvelously. Okay - that's all for now. I hope you all had a fine holiday weekend.




PS - My sincerest thanks and gratitude goes to IDW's SCOTT DUNBIER for allowing me to participate in such a wonderful short story - written by none other than MATT WAGNER himself. Scott was the very definition of a 'dream editor' and Matt's script was a gem. I am a very proud and lucky fellow for having had the opportunity to work with both of them. Thanks, gents - you're both all sorts of class.

8 comments:

Greg said...

Stellar work Eric! Had no idea you were working on this, must purchase!

Cheyenne said...

this is GORGEOUS!!

William said...

Opened up this issue and was very surprised to to see your work.
Since it was the last story they obviously wanted to end with the best.
Outstanding work.

William said...

I opened this issue and was pleasantly surprised to see you.
Since your story was last, they must have wanted to end with the best.
Outstanding work. :)

Tom said...

Man, these pages look insane. I had no idea you were working on this, totally missed it ay my local shop, had them order me one though.

I was just thinking the other day, what a shame it is that there isn't much expressive comic book art these days. Thank you for reminding me that it's still happening and there are artists with a personal vision holding the torch of originality.

Jason Quinones said...

all three of these are BEAUTIFUL!!! but my fave is that 2nd one! amazing work as always.

Riley MacGregor said...

Cool. Stevens was amazing. A priveledged gig, most def.

Ɓukasz Mazur said...

Really great work. From now on I will be watching your blog. Greetings from Poland.