“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

ARCHMONK_sketch

[6 x 9" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 300lb bristol board]



This armor is probably intended to be ceremonial. Can you imagine charging out into the battle field with this cumbersome number on? Maybe it's made of really very light mystical metals that wouldn't be too heavy to bear while tackling/slashing/maiming his opponents? Maybe.

Normally, I try to create a story with each and every image I draw so that I can somehow justify certain design choices. And on occasion I purposefully go for flair. Ridiculous amounts of flair. It's fun and allows me to practice designing outside of the practical.

Lame excuses, folks - that's all I have.

4 comments:

Danielle Case said...

I love the mechanical bits you add and the idea of making a backstory for the drawings you make! I am going to try to do the same!

D.Shawnte said...

Very interesting sketch! He looks almost robotic.

Harold George said...

Hey Eric, I am always extremely impressed by your technique. By far, you have been of great inspiration to me and my work. Thanks for posting these marvelous work of arts on here so I can view when I am having a dry run!

mcnostril said...

I thought it might be a stylin' portable slingshot. He is followed by a tiny berserker dwarf on the battlefield, and when the time arises he sticks a rubber band between the shoulder pads and is shot from his back onto unsuspecting foes. And he looks cool doing it.