“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

TEKKAMAN, CASSHAN & POLYMAR_commission

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 300lb bristol board]



This was such a challenging monster to draw because of its dimensions. Also, when the fellow asked me to draw the trio, I had no idea who the character was on the far right. And when I mentioned to them I was uninitiated to the cartoon that's based on this character, they looked at me like I had just fallen out of an alien space ship. Seriously - I had no clue.

Later on, I found out through FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA that his name is 'HURRICANE POLYMAR'. What?!

Anyhoo... when I previewed the image on my TWITTER account earlier last week, even more Italians got excited at seeing only the first two characters (the ones I'm actually familiar with) - TEKKAMAN and CASSHAN.



Hm. Who knew? Apparently, the Italians love them some old school anime. Respect.

20 comments:

Wouter Bruneel said...

Don't know the characters buts it's a gorgeous piece of art.

FS said...

This is NUTS

Denny said...

Fantastic art! Great style!!!

Paolo Boscolo said...

for sure, man!! we love those characters. and Tekkaman is my favourite!! :D

Narciso said...

You're my hero. I love these characters.

Federico Saladino said...

Wow, Great Works; so these anime were shown in Italy in the early 80's when i was a child. Italian TV, in those years, shows different anime and serials such as the work of Go Nagai, and many others, while in Europe and other countries were not Transmitted. Became a real fever for our generation.

Mike Nassar said...

woah. This looks super dope. Not framiliar with This Space Knight, but love this drawing, man.

Dan Markin said...

Your style is amazing, and has inspired me to push the movement in my own work!

Carlos said...

Great work!

Tekkaman was a great epic show! The characters and the last battle were amazing!

I didn't knew it had a sequel some time after the first series ended.

il decu said...

Hi, Eric!
It was great to meet you in Lucca.
Do you remember?

Chris Copeland said...

Dude! Tekkaman!!!?!?!?! I remember watching that one RELIGIOUSLY all the time, looking great sir, looking great!

werther Dell'Edera said...

sweet baby jesus!

Diogo Nascimento said...

Hello, Your job is great! Congratulations! Would you like to coloring their work. best regards

Eric Henze said...

great piece!!

Jen Zee said...

Holy crap, Eric! I think I reverted to a 6 year old and peed my pants a little when I saw this. THIS IS AWESOME! The Italians SERIOUSLY love their Tatsunoko (the creator of all three IPs). I love this!

Nicholas Hong said...

wow awesome artwork!:D

Lux said...

Thank You so much Eric, your work stunned me!!!!! ;-)

Patrick Ballesteros said...

Luvin the composition and use of simple tones in these man...kudos!

christian louboutin said...

Oh!Great.Do best, no regret! By moncler jackets lover.

H A R R Y G O A Z said...

FANTASTIC illustrations!