“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, August 04, 2011

GATCHAMAN JUNE_commission

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 300lb bristol board] 


Forgot to upload this one from SDCC.

Looking back, I realized a lot of people asked me to draw women characters at that show. Which is surprising on multiple levels, not the least of which is the fact that I draw females terribly. Also, I've never thought of myself to be the 'T&A' type artist guy.

And in keeping with that line of thinking, I drew June with her skirt up so's you can see her panties - because as you know, that's neither 'T' nor 'A'.

Enjoy.




PS - I just referred to myself as an 'artist'; that statement is technically wrong and gross on a sleazy car salesman wearing obnoxious amounts of 'Old Spice' or 'Brut' aftershave level.

7 comments:

Austin Madison said...

I think people ask you to draw girls precisely because you're NOT a tna guy. Your sketches actually have character!

Jamie Baker said...

I really like the way you draw women. No surprise to me that you get a lot of people asking you to do so.

spinkick said...

well you certainly sell yourself short! as a fan of your art, I'm sure I speak for many in saying, you don't draw anything terribly! Your unique style is refreshing and different from a lot of stuff that's out there. I'm amazed by the stories your images seem to tell... there always seems to be something deeper beyond the surface. That's why I like your art. (btw, i got the b/w catwoman at sdcc).

ChrisWMan said...

You draw women just fine and you ARE an artist.

Lan Pitts said...

Love this!

Riley MacGregor said...

I actually noticed that - So it wasn't the result of some special arrangement with the organizers, who broadcasted a message like ''Mr. Canete is only drawing women today. That is all.'' Cool.

Chris said...

And now because you refuse to refer to yourself as an artist...i feel like s#!t cakes, lol.