“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

ALPHA FLIGHT_90 minutes

[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 300lb bristol board]



As promised on my TWITTER account earlier today, here's an image of Marvel's preeminent superhero group from The Great White North - APLHA FLIGHT. Yes, I know; I substituted Vindicator for Guardian took liberties with the designs of the characters and their costumes. You're just going to have to deal with it.

Anyway, I don't recall too much about the group except that at one point artist JOHN BYRNE did an issue called 'WHITEOUT' where several pages were nothing were blank panels with captions - presumably because the antagonist used his powers to create a blinding snow storm. People have cited it to be brilliant. I called it hooey.

That said, it's a perfect time for me do some shameless self promotion.

I will be at the CALGARY COMIC AND ENETERTAINMENT EXPO this coming weekend (June 17-19) with dear friend and artist extraordinaire, Tim Sale. I'll have copies of CHOCOLATE, as well as some original art available for purchase. And if you're so inclined to request one, I will draw a commission for you. Please visit me at Table I-12.

I hear nothing but good things about Canada. I hope to find out for myself in a couple of days.

3 comments:

KevinHarden said...

hahahaaaaa, only JOhn Byrne.

dfb said...

Great piece - love your take on teams, like this one and the HC and Tim T Avengers pieces.

andy (got the McGinnis-style BW from you in Seattle)

Daniel said...

I hope you are cataloging these, and that you publish a massive hardcover volume showcasing tons of your work. I've been hooked on your work for years...