“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, May 16, 2011

"YOU STAY. I GO. NO FOLLOWING..."_commission


[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 300lb bristol board]


Every once in a while, I'm asked to do an image from this movie and I am reminded of how perfect it is. It represents a warm nostalgic glow inside of me and as an artist, I wish I could some day be part of something just as special.

Do yourself a favor - if you've never seen the movie IRON GIANT (or it's been a while since you've watched it) take an 86 minute break, sit back and enjoy a brilliant classic.

Oh... and bring your kids. They'll thank you for it later.

5 comments:

Michel Mammi said...

:O !!!!

Horak said...

Could not agree more. Watched it for the first time sick with the flu and at the end, when the Giant sacrifices himself and says "Superman" it had me bawling. I'd chalk it up to the flu but I got a little choked up just now typing it.

TMALO70 said...

WOW!!! Thanks for reminding Me how much I LOVE this Film... A Wonderful piece Eric...

Firebreather said...

Yeah, excellent movie. Love the child like spirit of the robot learning from the kid. As always Eric,awesome commission!

jason quinones said...

a brilliant image representing an absolutely brilliant film, one of the best ever, animated or otherwise.

yeah, i got choked up too reading that post title/line from the movie...