“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, May 16, 2011

VAMPIRE SLAYER_commission


[9 x 12" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on sketchbook paper]


One of my biggest fears as an artist is when someone asks me to draw the likeness of real people. Some illustrators have the skill set, some do not. Not only do I lack the ability, but when I try it, the final image just looks awful. So much so that when asked, my level of anxiety shoots through the roof and 99% of the time I decline the commission request all together. In short, I'm not good at it.

So maybe I was feeling my oats this weekend at Motor City Comic Con, or maybe I was just bored to death and wanted some perverse stimuli, the kind brought on by thoughts of panic which says, "Oh my god. This is gonna suck, this is gonna suck, this is gonna suck..." - but for whatever reason, I did this image.

As it turns out, I don't think it's not half bad. But that also means it's not half good. But if you're a guy like me, who couldn't work at Disneyland doing portrait caricatures of families on surfboards at the beach or next to Simba on Pride Rock, then you'd be pretty ecstatic at the idea that this commission image looks sort of like a young woman who stabs vampires in their hearts with wooden stakes.

Anyway, there is it. I hope everyone had a decent weekend and that your Monday isn't as half bad as this image.

2 comments:

nullunit said...

I think that looks like Buffy, maybe not Sarah Michelle Gellar, but definitely Buffy. If I had asked for that as a commission I would be super stoked with the result.

-ck said...

Eric! I had no idea then how close this sketch came to not happening for me! I've wanted to commission this from you for a couple of years now and am so grateful and ecstatic that you accepted! Thank you!