“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

EMERALD CITY COMIC CON_commissions

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen, COPIC marker on 300lb bristol board]  

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 300lb bristol board]  

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, brush & technical pen on 300lb bristol board]  

[11 x 14" - blue pencil, technical pen, COPIC marker on 300lb bristol board]  


On Wednesday, the day before my flight out to Seattle, aggressive influenza hit me to the point where I thought I was going to die. So, as per the advice given to me by the girlfriend, I bundled up for the night and stayed in bed until I saw Thursday's sunrise.

Feeling good enough to travel and the effects of the flu having seemingly subsided, I left for LAX, got on the plane to SEA/TAC, met up with my friend Jason Schachter, and caught the ride from the airport to the hotel.

Then, like a great white shark movie sequel, the flu came back - with a vengeance.

By the time Thursday night rolled around, I was in so much pain and discomfort, I was actually yelling out, "I'm going to die," in the hotel room. I'm sure illustrator supreme JEFF WAMESTER and Italian artist phenom MATTEO SCALERA who joined us for the trip had a good chuckle as they watched me running from death's scythe but I have a feeling that the severity of my health dawned on them when I started to uncontrollably shake in bed; flu shivers, man - they're the worst.

Anyway, I had three days of convention to look forward to and considering that the kind coordinators and event planners of ECCC brought me out to their show free of charge, flu or no flu, I wasn't about to let any of them down. Jason, doing his part, was industrious enough to McGuyver together an IV filled with a Theraflu, DayQuil, and Gatorade cocktail. He stuck the thing into my arm, let me sleep for 12 hours straight, then we went to work.

The images you see above are a handful of examples of what came from my Flu vs. Modern Medicine induced haze.

 I hope you like them.

12 comments:

ALi said...

amazing as always. mwah.

Evan "Doc" Shaner said...

Wow! That Beast is great, Eric! I wish I'd ran over and grabbed something from you now.

Felt said...

Incredible sense of design to these pieces. Particularly appreciate the attention to the warrior's shield and helmet- not the lazy generic stuff seen too often.

Craig Zablo said...

Man, not even the flu can stop you from creating amazing art!

Hope you're totally better now.

EZ Goodnight said...

Ah, I see you're coming to Mega Con. Totally got to save some bucks for a commission when you get here.

You take the requests at the con, or ahead of time?

Firebreather said...

Hey Eric, just wanted to thank you again for the Conan commission! You'd never know you had the flu from the work you put out. I'm glad you didn't die.

Comix Book Gurl said...

some amazing work!

Brian said...

If this is what you can do at a con when you are under the weather, I can't wait to see what you crank out at 100% healthy.

david benzal said...

Cool! technic!
Awesome.

Dimitri said...

That Sin City piece is amazing. You should have that cocktail more often!

Ryan said...

bookmarked! you draw like a demon sir. (assuming demons are good artist)

-ck said...

Eric, thanks so much for the hard work you put into my Sin City commission. You are a true professional and an amazing person for gutting it out under such extreme duress. Hope that you're back to good health and to see you in Baltimore come fall!