“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, November 04, 2010

TEAM 7_commission

[14x17" - blue pencil, pen & ink on 300lb bristol board]



Two things:

1) I think this image was commissioned specifically to pay homage to the original TEAM 7 COVER back when Wildstorm published it. Or maybe I was told to copy the original cover verbatim? Whatever. My memory fails me.

Anyway, I can sort of squint my eyes and convince myself that this turned out okay. It's not flawless, mind you; I believe there's still too much going on in some places and it just hurts to look at for extended periods of time but over all I think it's semi-decent. Not to say the source material/composition was weak, it's just that I couldn't find a legitimate reason why I'd put one of the team members between Deathblow's legs. That's just ridiculous.

2) My friend TJ COLLINS' new book called 'MONSTER MYTHOS' is now available for purchase. TJ is a talented character designer and artist working on Cartoon Network's Ben10 and this is his first published work. I just wanted to give him a little plug in hopes that if this first project is a successful one, he'll continue to do more in the future. Won't you show him some appreciation and support by ordering a copy of his book? It's a steal at $20USD. Please click on the Monster Mythos link above to find out more details.

Okay. Back to work for me. I'm gonna start previewing images for this hush-hush project in a few months so please return and check them out. Hope everyone is doing well.




PS - I know I've done this composition before (screaming guy with heavy machine guns firing off screen someplace), but at least I didn't have them standing, knee-deep in milk as I did the original. Sigh... I swear I'm out of ideas.

3 comments:

Jhomar Soriano said...

Wow, galing talaga.

MLHay said...

You're not allowed to say disparaging things like, "I'm out of ideas"! You're one of my favorite artists! Buck up, man! You've got people rooting for you!

EricCallen said...

Oh, dear lord, is this awesome!!!