“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, November 01, 2010

LONG BEACH COMIC CON_commissions

[11x14" - blue pencil, COPIC & Staedtler markers on sketchbook paper]

[9x12" - red pencil, COPIC & Staedtler markers on 300lb bristol board]

[11x14" - red pencil, pen&ink on 300lb bristol board]

[9x12" - red pencil, pen&ink on 300lb bristol board]

[9x12" - red pencil, pen&ink on 300lb bristol board]

[9x12" - red pencil, pen&ink on 300lb bristol board]

[9x12" - red pencil, pen&ink on 300lb bristol board]





Long Beach Comic Con passed this Halloween weekend and people were kind enough to ask me to draw for them. The challenge for me is to do their commissioned images that will actually resonate. Given the limitations, I think these turned out quite well.

The colored commissions (drawn using those marvelous COPIC markers) were for a couple of guys who had asked me for them a year or so back. I've finally gotten the opportunity to get to them so that I don't feel so guilty every time I see them at the shows. I hope they like them okay. Apologies for the wait, fellas - thanks for your patience.

I haven't uploaded too many updates because there's just so much to do these days that isn't about this blog. I hope you'll pardon me for the time being so that I can really give you something to look at for later. I will do my best to start posting more regularly just as soon as all my other assignments clear up. Thanks for waiting.

10 comments:

Q said...

Always great stuff Eric!

Comix Book Gurl said...

they are amazing!

mordicai said...

...wow. Those are-- well, your stuff is always great, so maybe just seeing them all in a row like that? Breathtaking.

Mark D Taylor said...

Awesome as always my man.

http://twitter.com/westfieldcomics/status/29469067985

Enjoy your day,
Mark

aintshakespeare said...

Those colored pieces are fantastic. The B&W are also cool, but I'm amazed by the color. Great work.

Albert said...

Very nice commissions!! I was first on your list Friday and got the Iron Man sketch. Very happy with it!

j_ay said...

any updates are great updates, thanks for sharing.

Samuel Silva said...

Trés agréable son dessin. Felicitations.

breignier said...

Dude, waiting is NOT an issue, I know it'll be worth it!
just keep doing what you do so darn well...

Space Station Orbiter: Cloud 99 said...

WonderWoman: Powerful and innocent all at the same time. Nicely