“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, October 07, 2010

FERRO LAD_commission

[11x14" - red pencil, pen & ink on 300lb bristol board]



I joked very lightly earlier this week on my TWITTER account about no longer being interested in doing any sort of recognizable background - as in, I'm not going to draw any more backgrounds from here on down because I'm such a lazy bastard. It was, of course, intended as a joke, but you'd never be able to tell that I was kidding based on this commission; the background of which resembles the same same technique I used for the Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem I just finished a few days ago.

Though given more thought, maybe this speaks less about my inability/apathy to draw legitimate backgrounds and more towards my lack of originality. I mean, if I can get away with drawing the same background over and over and over again? I genuinely don't have a problem with that. God help me - I'm turning into a comicbook curmudgeon.

Anyway, here's Ferro Lad in his original costume as he was inducted into the Legion of Superheroes. I'll leave it up to you who the other two inductees are.

2 comments:

Ted Terranova said...

That's too bad you won't be at the NYCC. I've really been loving your work and was hoping to get my [EGG] signed and to see some of your stuff in person. Maybe next year. The stuff you post is just so full of energy and at the same time so well crafted. And your willingness to redo a piece you aren't happy with says a lot. It's exciting each time you make a post. Thanks for sharing so much.

Michael Pfeffer said...

Maybe those bulbs can be your Kirby Dots.

Canete Bulbs. Go with it.