“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, October 03, 2010

DR. TEETH & THE ELECTRIC MAYHEM_commission

[14x17" - red pencil, pen & ink on 300lb bristol board]



In my life, I never thought I'd get a chance to draw anything or anyone from THE MUPPETS. Come to think of it, I don't ever recall drawing anything Muppets related - until now.

A HUGE thanks goes out to the person who commissioned this from me. I had such a fun time doing my rendition of the band and though these guys aren't really the typical line up that people think of when you mention The Muppets, I think I enjoyed drawing them that much more because of the fact that they weren't your standards. Besides, I think I'd be wholly intimidated drawing the classics; I'd hate to do Kermit, Gonzo or Fozzy an injustice by not capturing their essence correctly.

Hope you all had a fine weekend.


BTW, for those wondering - I will be at Table F-14 at this year's NYCC. Please drop by, say hello and support my terrible donut habit by buying a sketchbook.

10 comments:

Mark Thomson said...

Cool drawing! Lots of energy. Love the Muppets too :)

j_ay said...

(mouth agape)

that is foogin awesome!

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Morgan said...

DR. TEETH! What a fantastic drawing, I wish I had that idea.

damon said...

wow to cool!!

mmmmmike said...

That may be your best piece yet...so glad someone asked for an inventive commission topic, as oxymoronic as that may be.

Brian said...

I love it.

I'll be sure to "fly by" table F-14 when I'm in NYC.

Jeremy said...

This is amazing. Easily my favorite Muppets, and the way you captured them blows me away. Keep up the awesome work.

james said...

Excellent work!!!! Energetic, it really captures the essence that you would feel if they were in concert.

Andy Gouveia said...

Fantastic