“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

CLASSIC VISION_commission

[11x14" - red pencil, pen & ink on 300lb bristol board]



When the request to do a CLASSIC VISION commission came in, I had to really ask myself what that 'classic' part meant. To me, The Vision was just The Vision, you know? He's what I remember of the character from my childhood, growing up on JOHN BYRNE-drawn Avengers comics. I guess that was a bit naive considering that was years ago, and if Captain America can have slight costume tweaks then it would only make sense that the Vision would have his look updated as well.

And so it goes that I drew this commission with the spirit of the classic design in mind. If I didn't hit the proverbial nail 100% on its head then I would hope that the person who commissioned me to do this believes it's closer to the original source material than the Vision's current incarnation - and that my patron excuses some of the flair I put into the image.

I miss those good John Byrne comics, man.

5 comments:

AlexTuis said...

I like the latests once again, I really like the Muppet, it looks like a Poster..
I really enjoy your work each time you post.
Thanks for give me desire and envy to draw again!

Kuha said...

0: found you because of your dA... Love your work!

j_ay said...

Wow.
just...wow

Sketchguy said...

Know what I like about you, Eric?

You LOVE to draw and it shows.

Kevin Nowlan said...

This is a good example of the movement I often see in your work. It's a rare thing in comics, suggesting motion with a drawing, but you seem to do it effortlessly. I love the way you're drawing now!