“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

CYCLOPS & PHOENIX_commission



I still believe it's odd that it's pronounced 'fee-nicks' and not 'foo-nicks'. Stupid English.

You wanna know what else is stupid? People who ask me for a Phoenix commission at the show and who *don't* bother to come to pick it up later. Which basically says to me, "Hey, draw this character for me and waste your time during the weekend because I'm not really gonna buy it from you."

Well, that's a bit harsh. Admittedly there are a myriad of reasons why the person didn't bother coming back to pick up the image - the simplest of which is that they simply forgot. I've done worse during a convention weekend as there are just so many things a brain can process and keep track of. In the end, all is well and the Phoenix image found herself a good home (Thanks, JJ!).

Still, I think from here on down, I will start taking money up front as I take the commission. And based on the unanimous opinion of the ESSENTIAL SEQUENTIAL crew, that's going to be standard policy among all the guys. While that up front commission fee doesn't guarantee you an automatic image, it does hold a place for you on the queue of my commissions list. And should I not be able to get to your request, it's easy enough for me to return your payment. If anything it'll light a fire under my ass to get the image done for you since I've collected your hard earned cash already. I believe that's fair.

Wanna know what else is an odd word? 'Queue'.


PS - My Cyclops can kick your Cyclops' ass any day of the week. And twice on Sundays.

6 comments:

becky cloonan said...

I learned the money up front lesson the hard way. Hahaha- great Cyclops btw, and that means a lot if you know how much I hate the Summers. (minus Rachel).

spaceJASE said...

Ya - English is teh suxor.

And taking $$ upfront is definitely the way to go.

Phoenix came out pretty sweet in any event.

Standing in milk is an easier sell visually because they don't have to be 'grounded', right? :P

Comix Book Gurl said...

very awesome!

Ricardo VenĂ¢ncio said...

Love the mean Cyclops.
I never understood the hate for the character, he was one of the major reasons I read the X-Men back in the day.

And the "Phoonix" looks cool too.

Mark said...

Who the hell forgets to pick up a sketch from you? Getting one would be like one of the highlights of my summer. (I lead a very boring life) Still, these are great, I would have paid for both of them.

ChocoZell Zero said...

You actually can blame the greek that 'Phoenix' originated from, not english. :)

These are all beautiful pieces though.