“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Saturday, August 21, 2010

SAMUS_90 minutes





My dear friend, mentor, and animation director extraordinaire SAM LIU bought himself a brand new sketchbook today.

We went to the art store and he found one that was the perfect dimensions and perfect cover stock. Everything was to his liking - except for the first page which already had a little squiggle on it from some inconsiderate bastard who drew inside the book and didn't bother buying the item. So as best as we could we tried to find another one, but I guess this specific sketchbook was the last one in stock in the whole store. To be honest, we didn't really ask an associate (which I think we should've done before buying this one) to check if they had them displayed elsewhere, but whatever - we went with the one with the blemish.

Sam was *this* close to not purchasing it at all, until I promised him that I would draw something on top of the little pencil smudge in order to cover it up. I also told him that for all the trouble I'm going through in order to cover up such a hideous scar, he should open up a Twitter account so I can berate him if he doesn't draw in this brand spankin' new sketchbook he made me doodle a sketch in. So, being a man of his word, Sam now has a Twitter account. You can start following him HERE.

Above was Sam's sketch request for one of his all time favorite characters from one of his all time favorite games: Samus from Metroid and Metroid Prime. I know that not every detail on here is character accurate but whatever. It's done. And it served its purpose - I managed to swing ol' Sam away from the stupidity that is Facebook and now he has to deal with a social network portal that limits him to a 140 character commitment. If you know Sam as I do, Twitter is so much more of a better fit for him.

Okay, more later. Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.


PS - This new sketchbook gave me a paper cut that stings like hell right now because it's getting infected. Stupid Sam Liu and his stupid sketchbook that I have to cover up a stupid random doodle on with a stupid sketch of stupid Samus.

4 comments:

B.Wallz said...

OMG! ERIC CANETE I LOVE YOU FOREVER AGAIN! This is a piece I've wanted to see for a while.

Phil Higgins said...

I'd say Sam got himself a pretty awesome deal with that sketchbook, I love it!

sam liu said...

Damn this is so HOT! You give me way too much credit and praise than I deserve where I am the one getting the lessons and making out like a bandit from our friendship. You honor me with this awesome piece and damn you for making me have to look at something of this quality before I even try to sketch!

j_ay said...

Coll ass drawing, although you still can't convince me Twatter isn't for assheads...