“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, August 19, 2010

ATREYU_commission



I had to be very quiet about this image and not post it right away because it was commissioned as a present  for someone and (as I understand it) the recipient was a loyal visitor to this blog. Based on his e-mail thanking me after receiving it, the cloak and dagger was well worth it. That makes me very happy that they're so happy.

A while ago I was mentioning on TWITTER that I watching this movie for specifics as well as inspiration. The meeting between the title character on NEVER ENDING STORY (Atreyu) and the Gmork really left an impression on me as a child. I recall that the creature in the shadows with its glowing eyes scared the bejeezus out of me back then. But let's take that with a certain grain of salt - I was afraid of The Count from Sesame Street too. Also, the premise of the movie was really cool. I'd always wished that whatever I was reading was happening someplace in actual time; I guess it was all due to my overactive imagination.

Anyway, enjoy.


OH! Quick thing, as I was watching TRON the other day, playing in the background scene in Flynn's arcade, is the main title song for Never Ending Story! How awesome is that?! Well... not really awesome unless you're a big nerd for both films like I am.

5 comments:

Julio Cappa said...

nice ilustration, nice lines, shadows and also awesome blog.!!
Brilliant.

j_ay said...

Thats' just striaght up in-cred-ible.

Thanks for the rare "lol" (a *real* laugh out loud, not this internal half chuckle that people call a "LOL") moment of you being afraid of a Seasme Street character.

Never saw the flick (or Tron), but now that Kajagoogoo song is in my head...

Lee said...

this is freakin sweet, man i really like your stuff, I've been checking this blog a lot lately and I just cant get enough.
Lee

Lan Pitts said...

Gorgeous.

Tom said...

Thanks again Eric for this truly incredible piece.