“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, July 30, 2010

FOR FIONA_sketch


I have admired FIONA STAPLES for just a little bit now. I can't say '...for a long time' because that would be a blatant lie. But what I do know in the short amount of time that I've been paying attention to her work is that 1) I have absolutely no idea what's good because if I did I would've been singing this woman's artistic praises a lot sooner than now, and 2) Fiona has got the goods, you should visit her blog and you should rain praises down upon her for the quality of her work.

She and Steve Niles are embarking on a mission to drive me absolutely bat-sh*t crazy jealous with their current comic book series offering, MYSTERY SOCIETY. I suggest, as do many other critics, that you pick up copies for yourself and join me in this shade of envious green. Brilliant book.

Anyway, I contacted her in hopes to do an art trade and when asked what she wanted in return, she pinged back very quickly with '...space girl inspired by music she's listening to...' (or at least that's what I thought she wrote). We made plans to meet up at SDCC and this is what I brought for her. And what she gave me (a Robert McGinnis inspired piece) is now awaiting hanging in my living room just as soon as I find the real estate on the wall.

Okay, enough blah blah blah. If I wanna get over the envy I have for Ms. Staples, I'd better maintain momentum on this creator owned project - so back to work I go. Speak with you all later.

3 comments:

Stef said...

Great job, amasing line, strong, powerful..(je suis fran├žais) ton trait est puissant et terrible, merci pour ton travail si prolifique et efficace

abeoh! said...

Hi Eric! Awesome meeting you at the con and Thanks for signing my book! Big fan of your work!

werther Dell'Edera said...

Thank you very much!!! I'm really jealous of your art too. Of course it's a good jealousy, the one that inspire me when I try to put something on paper. The one that make me say: I want to become as good as he is!
So, please, continue to work and share ypour beautiful art!!!