“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

HEROES CON & THANK YOU_update





What a great crowd, what a great city, what a great show.

I don't get excited about too many things anymore. I'm an old fogie. But what gets me up is going to a show such as the one they hold in Charlotte, NC every year; HEROESCON.

I want to tell you that my second year in attendance was even better than my first, which is almost unfathomable considering I had such a wonderful and marvelous experience the first time around that I couldn't imagine another visit could top it. It did. And it did so in spades.

What SHELTON DRUM and his cohorts put together is quite possibly the best modern convention experience a creator can have. He takes a standard comic book show and constructs an atmosphere of camaraderie between the guests, fun for the people and families in attendance and (in an almost foreign concept to the bigger shows in the country) actual comic books for people to see, read and purchase. Not once will you see a bullshit pavilion. What you will see is that half the convention floor is split specifically dedicated to the creators, artists, and writers. I dare anyone else do that.

And it is under this roof of a magnificent good time that I managed to do these commissions. And it took all of my focus because all I wanted to do was walk around the entire show and shake everyone's hand. I could go on and on about my experience on the floor, the old friends that I shared a hand shake and a smile with, and the new ones that were kind enough to speak with me - both professionals and fans. I could tell you about the art auction and the supportive fervor and enjoyable experience that everyone had there. I could make you laugh and tell you about about how I got lost running through the humid early morning streets of North Carolina. And I could tell you about the festivities and great conversations at the after hours get-togethers in local restaurants and hotel bars, and how sad I was that it had to end (as all good things must, I guess).

I could tell you about those things, but I won't. Instead, I'll tell you that if and when the show rolls around again and you're debating whether or not you should choose Heroes Con or another convention during the year - I'll tell you that it's not a choice at all. Come to Charlotte and find out what a real comic book show is supposed to be like and experience all these things for yourself. You'll thank me for it.

And before I forget - a few thanks.

Thanks to my fellow professionals who dropped by our table and to those who were kind enough to take time out of their schedules to talk to me when I managed to visit them at theirs. Thanks to the coordinators of the show for making everything run as seamlessly as possible. Thanks to my partners in crime: MING DOYLE - for her charm, her vicious comedic timing and for her over-the-shoulder-never-ending spring of inspiration. STEPHANE ROUX - for being the quiet man who always tries to lead by example and for always keeping things interesting when it came to lulls in our activities. Last but not least, I'd like to thank each and everyone one of you who visited us with kind words to say, with smiles and cordial hand shakes - without whom none of us would've had half as good a time. I am always grateful for all of your support and patronage. A million thanks... EACH and EVERY ONE of you.

Enjoy the images and have a great week.

17 comments:

Lew Smith said...

Holy crap! That Monarch is fantastic! It was awesome seeing you at HeroesCon. Hope to see you there next year.

Rebekah said...

That Harley Quinn turned out fantastic in spite of me bugging you to death! Great to finally meet you man! Hope to see you again soon.

Lux said...

I really love your works, I look forward to meet you very soon...any program for Italian Comic Convention???

NJValente said...

That Dr. Doom is wicked awesome man! It was great to talk with you again and your new artbook is just outstanding! Glad you enjoyed the show and you are right about it being one of the best!

Lesley Vamos said...

Wow Eric - thats one serious sketch dump! I love them all, what can I say, I love the grittiness in the first and the one with the guy in the syringe is so well composed - they're all excellent!

KC said...

these are done at the show? how are they scanned?

War maching is sik, the Ivy is beautiful, my fave is the transmetro char i dont know, spider jerusalem?

Ming Doyle said...

Gorgeous, Eric! It was such a treat to spy on you drawing these. They all turned out so beautifully. You are are a nonstop inspiration machine!

HwangNguyen said...

dude, I looove your drawings!

Michael Dooney said...

You sir are a master of the vignette! I would love to hear your thoughts on composition here sometime since it is such a strong part of your art.
I thought that your Electra piece was the best thing in the Heroes Con art show by the way...wow!

Spanky said...

Jeebuz! Every single piece there is incredible!

Evan "Doc" Shaner said...

Fantastic, Eric. The Captain Marvel is fantastic of course, and I really like the Doom as well. Really wish I could've come down for the show.

Craig Zablo said...

It was a pleasure to meet you again and to see your art in person. Thanks for coming to the show!

Gemma Duffill said...

nice work!

Lan Pitts said...

Thanks for the turning that OMAC into something amazing.

Munchanka said...

Awesome stuff, I love the Captain America, very true-to-life.

TDK said...

I stopped by your table at the point you started that war machine. It looks superb. Awesome work!

Dave Molyneux said...

Love the Mighty Monarch man, awesome job, would love to see a couple of 21 and 24.