“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, June 10, 2010

ELEKTRA_auction




Every year the HEROESCON in Charlotte, NC has an art auction over the weekend where fans and professionals co-mingle in a large banquet hall - all vying to bid on art donated by artists from the show's attendance.

The image above was my contribution. And as usual I waited until the last minute to actually do it. So in a state of panic the night before the auction (and a few hours right up until the submission deadline) I managed to rush out and finish off this Elektra drawing. It's done in COPIC markers and cleaned up with some white acrylic paint.

The whole event went off as it did in years past; entertaining, competitive and festive - all benefitting the show and its organizers. And at the end of the day, that's what mattered to me most. I've included a shot of the piece (kindly sent to me by the auction winner) next to the chair so you guys can have a point of reference regarding its size.  I hope now you can see where my "Holy sh*t! What the f*ck am I doing and who the hell said we could do this in color!? You're a loser and you're going to have harlequin babies, Canete!" state of mind came from. For a guy who does nothing but B&W images on 10x14" paper, this was like asking a kid who plays 'Operation' to do an actual triple bypass.

It did fairly well price-wise at the auction and the owner of the piece seemed very happy with his purchase. I'm grateful to him for bidding on it, and I was very shocked and humbled at how many people enjoyed seeing it while it was being exhibited before the auction started. All I remember from the experience of making it was late night HBO television, raiding the overly expensive hotel mini-bar for sweets, and Stephane rolling over in bed, mumbling something aggressive and scary in French as he slept.

Anyway... thanks to all in attendance who had kind words to say about the drawing. Thanks to the all the bidders and to the buyer, Andrew, for his patronage and for sending me the high quality photos that I neglected to take for myself (I swear, if my head wasn't attached I would've left it in my hotel room). And mostly thanks to COPIC for providing and manufacturing such wonderful products that I can make last minute magic like the image posted above.



You guys see what I did there, just now? I was kissing ass so that I could hopefully get sponsorship from the COPIC people for the rest of my life because I support their AWESOME products. Do you guys see how I'm *still* doing it? Because I have no shame and I'm willing stoop to all sorts of embarrassing levels? At the very least, I wanted to get refills for all of the red markers I bought. Do you guys have any idea how much red ink goes into a 20"x30" image of Daredevil and Elektra? A f*ckin' lot, that's how much.

Have a great week, everyone.

12 comments:

Comix Book Gurl said...

that is so amazing

mike rice said...

I wasn't at the show – but I've seen pictures of many of the pieces from the auction.

This was hands-down my favorite.

Lew Smith said...

I like it. Very reminiscent of Bill Sienkiewicz.

WILFREDO TORRES said...

Gorgeous work Eric. Missed you at the show as you were away from the table but I did get a chance to meet the lovely Ming Doyle.

Marcelo Braga said...

Nice elektra, man! I really enjoy the composition. Cheers!

j_ay said...

Holy shit multiplied by 20x30...

you are a-m-a-z-i-n-g

KC said...

pretty incredible, the concept and colors, sweet image, sweet creative control

Michael Startzman said...

I agree, this is an amazing piece!

Michael Startzman said...

Really cool! I love the coloring!

dzart said...

So beautiful.
Hope you get that sponsorship. ;)

Rutxi said...

So Cool!!!

Jose said...

Nice painting. Is that an Eames LCW behind the painting?