“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, June 25, 2010

CABLE_commission




I don't know how the artists who draw this character do it panel to panel. From Liefild to Romita Jr. to whomever it is that's drawing this big bastard now, I don't know how they do it panel to panel, issue to issue. I mean, look at him. He's this guy with SO MUCH SH*T on him - so much detail and gear and bullets and guns and grenades and tech and babies and whatever else masturbatory detail you can put on one character - that I don't know how, by the third page, the book's artist doesn't put a gun in his mouth.

My bias probably has a lot to do with my overall laziness. I can't draw doohickeys and doodads anymore.

Drawing this much detail is a task left for the young. I remember loving this concept when I was a kid; pile on as much stuff as possible, draw until my hand falls off, be absolutely proud of that first awesome panel and realizing I have 21 more pages to go. And guess what? I was up to the task! Jeebus. Now if I can't be done with a page before a DVD is over I think I'm laboring over it.

Actually, the thing that I've come to find is that I'm just not as tenacious as I used to be. I've also found that my art is cyclical. I started drawing by doing very rudimentary stick figures. Those drawings steadily climbed to becoming more sophisticated and I started doing more detail. I discovered issues of Secret Wars and superhero comic books which then inspired me to drawing them and putting even more detail. Then I break into the animation industry where they intravenously pump the idea of simplifying and streamlining into your system from the moment you sit at your desk which forced me to pare down my work to its basics. And soon, probably as soon as next month, I'm gonna go back to drawing the stick figures again. Hell, I figure why wait until my skills devolve into that sad state? I'll just jump directly to that now and save myself the years of sitting in my office, overweight and eating through a couple bags of donuts, and weeping uncontrollably because no one buys my comics anymore. And in the spirit of devolution, I'm also just gonna start wearing Depends Adult Underwear.

I just laughed at myself because that level of bleakness is morbidly funny to me. Hehe.

Anyhoo... this is all to say that to those artists who have drawn this character, artists who are currently, bravely drawing him, and to those young, adventurous and upcoming artists who are going to draw the hell out of Cable - you have my utmost respect and admiration. But please don't put too much stock in that admiration. I'm the guy who's wearing a pair of OOPS, I CRAPPED MY PANTS.


Have a great weekend, all. And VIVA FIFA!

11 comments:

samax said...

Rob Liefeld handled it by drawing him as Shittily (yes, it's a word...) as possible. The rest get props! lawl!

okay, this is dope! Although I should probably quit drawing after looking at this, I will continue, 'cause I got bills.

holla!
-samax

Jeff Stokely said...

This post is amazing. Not only the most bitchin Cable I've seen in quite sometime but I got to laugh my ass off reading it.
Kudos sir

Skotti said...

*gets out the whip* Getcher ass back to drawing boy! You need to produce more comic for me to buy.

Geoff Shupe said...

sweet ass.

j_ay said...

Damn man, that is a bad ass illustration.

you rock, as usual!

Lesley Vamos said...

Fantastic!!! I'm running out of words to describe your brilliance Eric!

AlexTuis said...

I wish I could have enough money to order you a lot of drawings like this one.
You are better and better!

Please keep the level high!

Daniel said...

I'm impressed enough to lawd your work even though this is a very-thinly veiled pitch for pity. I mean, seriously? With the woe and the is me? I see both Trevor Goodchild and Satanika in your Cable there (except for the vulva, though maybe he's got that in a tactical pocket of some kind). In all seriousness, though...OMG. I'm almost ashamed to type those letters, but it fits.

Very nice to see you're keeping a place open where your admirers can poke fun at your humanity while grappling with the choice of whether to take out pen and paper or drop our pants. Found you by way of Mr. Sam Liu's site, wishing he'd update as frequently. (I'm inculcating small children on _Roughnecks_, by the by.)

Cheers.

Rafa Garres said...

You are great!
Your line B&W art are totally gorgeous.
I love it,I don´t care about what you draw ,
I consider it have some plasticity
beauty on the way you put order to the lines,
that induce a great pleasure to my eyes.
Really!

Oni fabian said...

stick figured hah? guest we all started with the same style and ended with a different kind of way>>>

Oni fabian said...

guest we started with the same way and ended in different kind of resault.... he..he..