“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, May 17, 2010

"THUNDER!...THUNDER!..."_90 minutes

It's been a grueling couple of weeks in trying to catch up with my deadlines. I finally had to take a few minutes for myself tonight so that I wouldn't go completely postal. I've been watching a lot of Thundercats episodes lately and when MUMM-RA says,

"Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form to Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living!"

I know exactly how he feels and what he's going through. Well... except when I say it, I don't transform. I just stay as an old man in red bathrobe wrapped in toilet paper. But I do feel evil-er.

I haven't seen the outside world for a while now. The only external contact I have is when the solicitors from the Los Angeles Times call; and I keep them talking for so long that even they have to look for a reason to get off of the phone with me. The pizza delivery guy has to shove each individual slice through the mail slot. Small tip: Pizza tastes better when it's hit the carpet face down and has picked up debris from godknowswhere. And as a final sign of dementia, I've given up on wearing pants all together - which that door to door U.S. Census guy said that he wasn't too comfortable with. His eyes and quick glimpses to my Hanes comfort waistband boxer briefs told a different story, however.

Anyway, my most favoritest convention, Charlotte's HEROESCON is next month! I'm excited as hell as I will be in attendance with cohorts MING DOYLE, STEPHANE ROUX, and MIKE CHOI. Let's hope that for their sake and for the sake of everyone in attendance that my pants embargo has remedied itself by then. More details to come about what I'll have available as the date draws closer.

For now, enjoy the image. "HOOOO!"

10 comments:

Comix Book Gurl said...

oh that is epic!

Michael Pfeffer said...

I love the perspective on the sword.

j_ay said...

Another stunning piece, sir. Damn!

Adrian Johnson said...

Thundercats! I was there after school at 4:30 FAITHFULLY! Loved that show!

And great to hear you'll be in the spot at Heroes, Eric. You were definitely were one of the few bright spots of my Heroes Con experience last year (the rest not so good...LOL!)

Keep it pushing, sir.

Jeff Stokely said...

YES! I have the 1st season (36 f*cking episodes!) on dvd, its pure gold. One of my all time favorite cartoons.

Waking up to this made my day, then the post itself made it a little better. Thank you sir!

Btw... My word verification says SLYTH... was that your doin???

Lux said...

Your Thundercats's vision is fantastic!!!

Annie Wu said...

Holy wow. I'm so glad I found your blog. Your work is really incredible.

Tom said...

Truly unique, wonderful version of the T-Cats, some of my favorite characters of all time!! Thanks for sharing!!

I hope you'll have a new sketchbook available for Heroes/online orders, always love me a fresh Canete sketchbook!!

Will Shyne said...

Hey there. Was lucky enough to pick up your sketch book at the con here in Barcelona. Great stuff.
RE Luke Cage the fill in guy wasn't a terrible fit but a bit of a bummer on a 3.99 pre order book : (
Any Canete in number three?

Will Shyne said...

Hey there. Was lucky enough to pick up your sketch book at the con here in Barcelona. Great stuff.
RE Luke Cage the fill in guy wasn't a terrible fit but a bit of a bummer on a 3.99 pre order book : (
Any Canete in number three?