“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

C2E2 ART BOMB_sketches




Here are some of the head sketches I did at this year's C2E2 show. I conveniently had a scanner on hand, so I managed to get hi-res images for my archives.

There isn't really much to say about the images except for the fact that I limited myself to about 2-3 minutes with each one. Also, I wanted to see what I could get away with drawing these with just a pen and not my traditional bush. To my surprise, I was genuinely happy with the results.

I'm not going to throw everything out the window or anything - start doing everything with a pen. I think there are instances when the it's a great, appropriate tool. But more often than not, at least with my own work, the lines can come off really mechanical.

Eh. What do I know?  I'm just glad I managed to sketch for everyone who asked for one. Victory!

27 comments:

122476 said...

wow!!!

Jon Tsuei said...

Rain is not happy to be next to Gambit, I can tell by the look in her eyes.

Mike said...

Your Spidey is just killer.

SaintAegis said...

Great stuff. Love the Pheonix and the ole Chuck Jones' Grinch looking Loki!

Brian Churilla said...

Radicals. What kind of pen, out of curiosity...

AlexTuis said...

I love how you did your Hellboy, Ivy, the panel with the Hulk, Phoenix, Diablo..all is such amazing!
Thanks for sharing.

Q said...

i just love how fluid your line work is in one piece then so rigid in the next. what control! i'm a huge fan!

the comics expert said...

Those are stunning. If only I lived in the US so I could stand in line for a Canete-sketch sometime. That line would move incredibly fast AND the sketch would be so worth it. I really hope to find lots of your work in print for a long time to come, because that is stunning work!

Be seeing you
--nout

Lan Pitts said...

Thanks again for the Zatanna!

fatjester said...

Awesome! Even your 2-3 min sketches blow me away.
Great Work!

chromasketch said...

awesome sketches.

William said...

Damn, man, long-time admirer and inspiree. Just have to say, the level to which you "get" how Superman's face should be drawn puts you on a level with Frank Quitely and damn near no one else.

Esquisite linework all around.

Daniel.Z said...

These are killer!

shanesaw19 said...

I actually picked up a Shazam card from you at C2E2 it's so cool.
But seeing your Flash card makes me want to see you tackle more of that character.

THE INSATIABLE said...

The angels in your profiles are so sick!

j_ay said...

Madly jealous of everyone that got one!

Tom said...

Awesomeness accross the board, thanks for sharing these!! The owners are very lucky indeed!

mordicai said...

Wow...wow. I'm sure I've seen your work before, & now that I've found your blog I'll be happily following!

Yasemin Baran said...

Your work is stunning! Love the dynamism in your compositions.

Cheeks said...

oh my oh my, Eric! These busts are incredible!

ArtLegence said...

Wow, i'm never disappointed when i see new art on your blog. great stuff. What kind of pen were you using?

Cristina said...

HIII!!

I haven't open the blog for some time, but I see than is still awesome!!

Congratttttts!! : D

I love specially the Batman sketches and the profile of Captain America that is really good!

Regaaards ^_^ !!

Lux said...

Those sketches are marvellous!!!

Ben Hatke said...

I love that Thor. The nose piece on his helmet...

Alphonse Plume said...

It's amazing ! I'm happy to say: I'm jealous ! You're great !

Craig Zablo said...

Those quickie head sketches are so cool! Any chance you'll be doing them at HEROES?

cerebellum said...

I'm totally moved by your drawings. 2 to 3 minutes for each one... I would sell my mother to draw like this !!