“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, May 20, 2010

BEWARE... WEDNESDAY COMICS_update



This week (or maybe next week - I'm not sure because I have no concept of time right now, sequestered as I am) the collection for WEDNESDAY COMICS comes out in all of its hardcover glory. And while its original incarnation was impressive enough, there's something to be said about the whole collection sitting in front of you, ready to be consumed in one reading. The page you see above was my understudy entry. I was asked to do a one page contribution (pre-collection) in the off chance there may be an open slot due to scheduling conflicts. I was the 'just-in'case', the 'worst case scenario', the 'last line of defense'. Okay, that last one is a bit extreme and off target, but I like the sound of it. Thankfully and commendably, there was no such hiccup and the series went off without a hitch.

On a technical note, the nature of Wednesday's Comics - big, over sized, sequential serials on newsprint paper - presented me with a great challenge of drawing on a LARGE sheet of paper; larger than what I'd normally work on. And, true to form, I did the damned thing twice. My routine of doing it once for practice and re-doing the page once I've worked the kinks out didn't escape this assignment and I genuinely believe the final image benefited from that obnoxious exercise of not getting it right the first time.

Honestly, I had completely forgotten I had done this page until a box with copies of the hardcover rang at my doorstep. As I flipped through the book, I was wide-eyed and completely overwhelmed by the participants; such wonderful and brilliant works within! The colors popped even moreso now that they're on glossy paper as opposed to its original newsprint counterpart (the 'Supergirl' portion with Paul Mounts background colors are outstanding), and I was more than proud to be included even if it was only on a supplementary level. The real spotlight was the series itself and I'd like to give a hearty pat on the back to the men and women involved. Specifically, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank MARK CHIARELLO for letting me play along with the grown-ups and honoring my work by putting the moody colors on it himself. I am, to say the least, unworthy of the attention. Thanks, Mark.

It was a hoot. Please buy the collection and I hope you enjoy the image.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Sweet, another reason to pick up the book. That page looks great!

j_ay said...

Wow! Would love to see you tackle a whole Creeper story...

Yasemin Baran said...

buhhh, friggin' awesome!! love all the motion going on! :D

LFW said...

hey, your stuff is the BOMB. everything just oozes rigid and interesting dynamic, and is never boring to stare at. Congrats on the gig, I will defintiely be sure to pick it up when I can

cheers to you and your awsome talent

jeff said...

I m French illustrator and your perspectives, your line, are amazing and thank you for your making of batman

Alina Chau said...

AWESOME!

il Dono di Ture said...

are the illustration mounted with manga-studio, right?