“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, April 30, 2010

"I THINK I'M A GOOD WRITER..."_commission



"I think I can write comics 'coz I've got a lot of followers and people tell me that I'm pretty funny and that I write interesting stuff on my Twitter all the time!"

Uhm... yeah. I heard that ludicrous statement from someone I just met who was trying to convince me that they can write professional comic books. And to me, that makes sense. I mean, of course you've got the writing chops that naturally transfers into a successful comic book writing career because you're *SO* entertaining and articulated on a social service that offers up your grammatical genius in 140 characters or less! So, OF COURSE you can do this comic book sh*t for a living! What're you waiting for? No, seriously. C'mon down and claim your Eisner for writing now, you arrogant prick. It really is that easy to write good comic books.

I mean, there's plenty of times when I thought, "What's the big deal with engineers, all that math, and the space shuttle!? I f*ckin' make spaceships all the gaddamn time with my Legos, and sh*t!"

Oh, and speaking of TWITTER - Jon tells me that I apparently have an account. And if the stats are right, I opened it a long time ago and haven't posted onto it in 100+ weeks. What's even more mind-boggling is that it already had 40 followers built in? AWESOME! Who are you people?! But whatever - now that I have it, get ready; because I am going to write short spurts of something funny and interesting, and soon I can be a rocket scientist too!

We try not to leave any whorish promotional stone unturned here in Casa di Canete. Prepare for banality, Internets.

6 comments:

Mike Lawrence said...

This just made my day. Its like all the rage in my brain is venting through you...in a non creepy way, of course.

Ming Doyle said...

I look forward to reading your wisdom nuggets!

Sami said...

Enjoy your sense of humor. Waiting for your tweets too :) (ahem! mind if I follow you...gee!)

Lesley Vamos said...

Brilliant! I love the detail in the background! the crosshatching is so beautifully done ^_^

j_ay said...

Hell, most of the peopel that already write comics can't actaully WRITE. So whatever.

Stay away from Twatter.
Just draw.
Hell, most of the people that already write comics can't actually WRITE. So whatever.

Stay away from Twatter.
Just draw.

Jonn Wood said...

I'm a good(not great) artist, and I'm an even better writer, and I still don't want to create a comic book. I had enough trouble with just a webcomic, much less something that has to hold up to an editor's scrutiny,