“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, March 05, 2010

"I can tell you one truth..."

"... when I open my mouth, I will lie to you.
I will promise you honesty, until it isn't convenient for me anymore -- then I will plead for forgiveness and confess that I am confused.
I will talk about courage in adversity, until I am actually faced with it -- then I will be weak with cowardice and admit that I don't know what I'm doing.
I will testify to my commitment, until I have to be accountable for it -- then I will say nothing at all and pray everything will just go away.
I can tell you one truth. I will lie to you when I open my mouth."

I saw this original in the art pile with the text above written on the back. I find that sometimes the non-superhero images that Eric does turn out to be the most interesting and engaging. And just in case you can't make it out, he rendered the whole thing using the word "LIAR".  Yes, he gets fancy once in a while.

-Jon Tsuei

9 comments:

James Clayton said...

That is amazing and inspired. Whoa.

tragic_antihero said...

. . . I already contacted Jason about this piece . . . "beautiful" does not even begin to describe this work. Amazing.

j_ay said...

You're right, Jon. Eric’s super-hero stuff is great, but take away the costumes, as his non-comic books stuff proves; Eric is quite simply one of the best, if not THE best, _illustrators_ out there.

The modern day Normal Rockwell? I'm not far off...

B_Steelo said...

so she must be a liar, huh?

Chris Sims said...

I can't tell but is the outline of the character spelling out Liar also?

Pete said...

I agree. Much as I love the superhero stuff, those little windows into the everyday lives of everyday people are just amazing.

Leighton Johns said...

That is deinitely different, and definitely very, very 'fancy' too.

Brax Harrison said...

There has to be some back story behind this piece, huh? Amazing as always!

Brax Harrison said...

There has to be some back story behind this piece, huh? Amazing as always, E.

-Braxton