“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, February 07, 2010

CAP'S SHIELD_90 minutes.


"Oh, say! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave..."


A few days ago, on a cold and rainy afternoon, Eric became a full-fledged American citizen. It was a very strange swearing in ceremony as 900 people packed themselves into a banquet hall, raised their right hands and pledged their allegiance to the United States and its flag. And when they sang the national anthem, I damn near shed a tear.

After the ceremony I asked Eric what he wanted to do, as in, "Hey, where do you want to go to eat?" I guess he misinterpreted what I meant because he said, "Well, why don't we take the new passport out for a spin?" To which I replied, "Okay. Where to?"

And that's our plan. But we are hoping we could get your help, participation, and kindness, dear blog reader. So, if you are from another part of the world, outside of the U.S., drop us a note and tell us where you are. And if you don't mind playing tour guide for a couple of days to a handful of guys who are genuinely interested in learning about your place and country, consider us there! Haha! And for your trouble, we'll make Eric draw a picture for you and as many of your friends until his hand falls off. That's what we Americans call a 'bribe'.

Just betwen you and me, I think this just Eric's way of saying F*CK YOU! to the whole Schingen headaches he's had to deal with in the past. As for me, I'd just love to visit different places. And why not do it with my friends? It'll be awesome. First up? Germany.

-Jon Tsuei

12 comments:

Lan Pitts said...

Much congrats, Eric!

j_ay said...

congrats to obtaining a passport with an eagle on it, EC.

You guys are more than welcome to swing through Swiss-Land.

Spanky said...

Congrats Eric!

If you find yourself in Melbourne, Australia - feel free to drop me a message. I've always dug showing my fellow travellers around my city - wanna make sure they don't miss out on all the local secrets.

Lel said...

Congrats Eric ^_^

When I'm back home in Australia I'm definitely playing hostess! You'll have to wait till August though :)

naomiful said...

I see a musical coming outta this, arms swinging wide to the sky and all

workitout :D

Colin said...

Congrats, Eric!!

Cully Hamner said...

Congratulations, Eric-- that's just great!

Incidentally, my mom is a naturalized citizen, as well...

Jaume Vaquer said...

Well, if you want to come to Spain, in Majorca it will be a pleasure to show you the mediterranean island where I live. Jim Starlin, Paul Gulacy, Steve Englehart, Darick Robertson or Sean Chen can tell you about the place.
Congratulations!

TRACERfire said...

Both are you are certainly welcome to stay with us in New Zealand. Consider it an open invite.

We also know plenty of single women looking for just the right artist to 'pencil' her.

-JP

(apologies in advance for the bad joke)

Tom said...

Congrats, Eric!! The combination of the written entry and this wonderful drawing is moving. Congrats again!

Justin said...

Love this piece.

The word 'iconic' gets thrown around a lot, but I really think I'll always think of this image anytime I imagine Cap suiting up and receiving his shield for the first time.

Barba Magn├ętica said...

One thing that I always love in Eric's work is this odd vision.
Hes always seek for the unusual perspective, never the easy way, never the industry boring standard.
Great job, and great future.
And guys, consider yourselfs invited to visit Curitiba in Brazil.