“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, November 06, 2009

CONVENTION SKETCHING_sketches





I don't know how many actual convention sketches I did during my month away, but I can tell you there weren't that many. I kept my head down doing commissions for the most part and when I wasn't doing that, I was keeping my head down into a barf bag, I was so sick.

The images above are some of the ones I did when I actually came up for air. Thanks for the kind and generous fans who have sent me scans of the sketches I did for them. You guys are the best.

As an aside, it's strange to hear a guy request a Magneto image. I mean, I don't mind - I had fun doing it. It was great challenge to come up with a concept that could fit into a bust shot of the character and somehow tell a narrative of what that character was all about. But I swear, for a split second, I looked up at the fan who asked for it and thought, "Seriously? The Master of Magnetism, huh? Well, I mean... that's cool and all and who the hell am I to judge, but really? Magneto? Okay... it's your sketchbook."

What's next? Modok? Oh wait, I did that already too.

12 comments:

Lan Pitts said...

Your Iron Man design is quite awesome.

Paolo Boscolo said...

that Iron Man is creepy and cool at the same time.

Tom said...

Love that Iron Man, the others rock as well. I e-mailed you the sweet Skeletor you did for me at Big Apple Con, thanks again!

Fabian said...

Really cool sketches!! You did an amazing Magneto! I would have asked for Ziggy! To see Ziggy in your style, niiiiceeee. :)

AlexTuis said...

I really love your Iron Man!
Amazing design, your fans are lucky to receive so great sketches!

I recently did an autograph/ sketch session myself. It is really hard for the brain, I was exausted, but it is really cool to meet all these people in the same time..

Justin Rodrigues said...

Although an odd request i think the Magneto one is my favorite. If you took the helmet away i would still know who he is i love it!

caffeineman said...

Hello, Amazing work, I have a question: Which technic do you use to inking?, it looks like brush, but I`m not shure.
Thank you

abhishek singh said...

expressive as hell!!
love the last post too,
your work has so much KINETIC radiance !
:)

shalik said...

hey, i like your job it's great !!!

Manoj a menon said...

"...your kungfu is awesome."

i mean.. your style is so cool.
its evidently distinct and damn powerful.
i see you sharing the alter with alex nino.


i have my artworks at http://noisefromfuture.blogspot.com/

pls feel free to come onboard

ANDY KUHN said...

beautiful work as usual eric. i just picked up your new spider-man comic and WOW, it's one of my favorite comics you've drawn. truly awesome comics!

Christopher Soprano said...

Great designs.

Especially the Magneto with the floating discs.