“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, October 30, 2009

SONJA_90 minutes


Did you know that Red Sonja was created by an Italian comicbook writing and drawing team?

No, that's a lie. Don't believe a word of that. The only reason I bring up anything Italian is because right now, as I type this, LUCCA COMICS AND GAMES is going on full tilt, and damn it all - I can't go. Yes, it's true that I just got back from a whirlwind tour of comic conventions and I've said on more than one conversation since I've gotten home that a fifth convention would've probably killed me. But wouldn't it be an awesome way to 'go out' if I went in Italy? And at a comicbook convention where I couldn't understand anything, no less?! Ah... that would be awesome, I think? Maybe not.

So for now, I'll relegate myself to watching VIDEOS of everyone else's experience at Lucca (which closely resembles the cattle drive that is SDCC combined with the unnerving cosplay fervor of AX) and in the off chance that I'll somehow, someday, end up in Italy, I'm going to work on perfecting the one Italian phrase that I know will come in handy regardless of any situation.

"Dov'é il bagno?"

Hmm... come to think of it, would I really want to go considering that I despise the massive, border line uncontrollable crowds at SDCC? This may deserve more thought.

Nah - f*ck that. I'd go in a heartbeat. Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Tom said...

Truly sick Red Sonja! I hope Dark Horse is watching and whoever owns the rights to Red Sonja, you need to illustrate a Conan tale some day!!

caffeineman said...

Man, ireally love your work, reminsme, idon't know why, some vintage comic art.
And, I'm agree with tom, you must ilustrate Conan.

Fabian said...

Woooaa!! Wish i could go there too! Hey, do you know by any chance if there is a convention in France as big or bigger than the one in San Diego? Please let me know.
Hey, great work on Sonja, Eric!! I didn´t know she was created by an italian comi... oh, wait, that is a lie, i just read that in you blog. Amazing lines, Eric! :)

Francesco Biagini said...

Hi Eric!
I've been to Lucca, and it almost killed me! :-D
At any time you'd like to come to Italy and need anything, just ask.
Go forth with your wonderful art!!!
Francesco