“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, September 25, 2009

THE WASP_90 minutes


This image was semi-inspired by the amazing, AMAZING outfits designed, manyfactured, and modeled by costuming extraordinaire, RIKI LE COTEY.

I met her for the first time at this year's Heroes Con in Charlotte earlier this year. She was wearing a mind blowing costume of The Mighty Avenger's 'Wasp'. Plated in chrome accents for her chest piece, on top of leather and spandex (Riki, please forgive me if I'm getting the details wrong; I'm no good with the technicalities, gal) for the body suit, she looked absolutely stunning and I was immediately cued into the fact that she really loved the craft of making such intricate costumes.

Then recently I caught gaze of the Dr. Mrs. The Monarch number she put together for this past Dragon*Con and I was bowled over once again. She looked great, as did all the costumed participants who attended the show.

Anyway, this image of Janet Pym is sort of (and I use the word in the loosest of terms) an amalgam of both outfits that Riki crafted. Yeah, I know... you really can't see the armored pieces on her abdomen from her Wasp costume, but you get the idea. And in case you guys haven't caught on yet, I'm gonna try to do as many of the Avengers as I can. Let's see if I am, as usual, a big fat liar.


Also, if any of you guys have signed up for this weekend's workshop put on by the Concept Art Academy (this year held at Laguna College of Art & Design) I will see those of you who have been so kind as to stick around for my three hour segment on Sunday from 10Am to 1PM. Thanks ahead of time to the attendants and students for giving me a portion of your weekend. I'll try to be as entertaining and insightful as possible.

Now I'm not sure if the whole event has been spoken for and all the spots filled, but considering it's tomorrow, I think that it may be a little late to sign up. The best thing you can do for yourself is to keep an eye out for future events that are coordinated by the CONCEPT ART ACADEMY - a fine institution that has top-notch, working in the industry instructors who teach courses that are rigorous, challenging and are application based - which means you're drawing ALL the damn time. I wish I had this option at my disposal when I was younger. I can't say enough about the place, so if concepting and... uhm... art-ing is your thing, click on the link.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

6 comments:

Fabian said...

Wish i could be there in your workshop! Wish you the best!
Great piece of Wasp! Hope you do decide to make more of the Avengers. :) Have an amazing weekend Eric!

Lan Pitts said...

Riki's costumes are always awesome.

Mimi Cortazar said...

Great line art!

david benzal said...

Cool Drawings you have a nice style.
See you!

Tom said...

Nice drawing! Once again, makes me really want to see you illustrate a fantasy/sword and sorcery story. I wish I could come to a workshop of yours, hopefully some day!

carl said...

Hi Eric,

Awesome sketch. Even after seeing your demo this weekend at the workshop, it's still amazing to see what you can accomplish in 90 minutes.

-carl
kidfrodo.com - my sketchblog