“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, September 11, 2009

SINISTER SIX_commission


I was planning on doing a small step-by-step of this image - start to finish, just as an exercise in personal ego stroking ("Ooh, look how cool my process is and don't you wish you could see this in real life? - What a a douche!), but by the time I realized how obnoxiously HUGE this original would be when all was said and done, I abandoned all notion of the self aggrandizing high-fives I was going to give myself. One vice and gave way in favor of another: Laziness.

Hooray, LAZINESS!

See, I would've had to start drawing, stop, scan, compose (because this double page image is done on two 11x14" sheets of Bristol), then start over again, stop again, scan again, compose again, and so on and so forth, over and over for however many steps it would've taken until I arrived at the final product which is on display now. And honestly... I'm tired from just typing it. Can you imagine the level of disinterested malaise I would've had if I actually went through with it? Ugh. Not for me. So again, hooray for laziness!

And, oh yeah... I'm watching GOSSIP GIRL. Yes, yes... I know all the jokes. Two seasons in and I'm hooked on this melodramatic gobbledy-goop like I was crack addict. One could argue that this is something of a 'beginning of the end' moment for me and that it's all down hill from here. In my defense, I'm crushing on BLAKE LIVELY in the same way I can consume copious amounts of tiramisu. And watching her character switch from 'bad girl gone good' to 'bad girl gone good but being bad is just too damn good to be bad' is... uhm... yeah, okay - I'm close to going off the deep end.

But... BUT!... in order to balance out all-sugar diet that is "XOXO" (You Gossip Bitches know what that's in reference to!) am also watching MAD MEN, and that show is just plain ol' GOOD! Seriously. It's not hype. Just all-around good programming, great story lines with characters that have so much texture to them that they could give Edward James Olmos' charming face a good run for its money. So watch Mad Men if you can. Or don't. I don't care. I'll keep Mad Men for myself. Eff you, Mad Men non-believers!



So, let's see - how many of the seven deadly sins have I covered? Pride, Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Greed, and Wrath. And I'm not smart enough to continue this entry in order to accommodate the last one, so I'll just sign off now.

Have a great weekend everyone!

18 comments:

Gabriele Pennacchioli said...

Great piece Eric!

John 'Roc' Upchurch said...

This piece is effin gorgeous. i wanna paint...but i'm not good. . .somebody good should paint it.

BrandonJ said...

That ROCKS! I believe that pretty much covers it.

Tom said...

Sickest drawing of the Sinister Six and Spidey I believe I have ever seen.

Michael Pfeffer said...

I always like how you draw Spidey skinny and don't draw everyone all jacked up.

Adam Temple said...

I have to agree on all counts except for Gossip Girl - only because I haven't seen it, but AMC programming is shaping up to be foreseeably awesome - if you haven't checked out Breaking Bad, you should. Also, WICKED spiderman - what you did with his face! NICE. And Doc Oc. Crazy, keep it up.

B.Wallz said...

This is Awesome! I wanna see you on a spidey run.

Brian Lue Sang said...

Wonderful piece! And yes - Mad Men kicks ass!

andy kuhn said...

that is one crazy awesome drawing, dude!
LOVE IT! :)

YNHeller said...

this is lovely!

Fabian said...

I understand you, it sounds too long to do a process... still, would have been great to watch it, i love process posts! :)
Great piece, man!!

j_ay said...

thanks for the new 'desktop background'...

incred-i-ble

James said...

I cannot wait to see your Spidey ish. Can you not just handcuff yourself to Quesada's desk and refuse to leave and just keep drawing Spider-man forever?

Cos that would be pretty great.

XOXO!

MARK A. ROBINSON said...

You are a beast.

I always love looking at your work man. It's ridiculaz how talented you are.

Peace,

M.

davidjamescole said...

wow. can this PLEASE be colored and made into a print? i'ma buy it.

Cheeks said...

Oh my.... head is spinning like crazy here.... way too awesome, Eric.

BTW... I watch Gossip Girl with my lady.... "XOXO, you know you love me. Gossip." What?! I told ya. HAHAHAHA Props to you for being a man to admit what's up.

Respect.

Kirk Van Wormer said...

Lovely Eric. As always.

Robert said...

Beautiful line work homie!