“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

ROGERS VS. RAND _commission


I swear - no adjustments via Photoshop; COPIC markers really do come out this vibrant.

And yes, I know that Iron Fist's power/flame hand is typically pink in hue, but Captain America is also supposed to be red white and blue. The color palette of things are completely malleable in my universe. I've learned to deal with it - and now, so must you.

Actually, I had enough trouble harmonizing the two characters who are, at their core, wearing primary colors on their outfits. I wasn't about to give myself the extra headache of trying to put pink in there too. Or maybe that's my excuse because I'm all thumbs when it comes to color? Yeah, okay - PINK SUCKS!

I hope everyone is having a good week so far. I've got to go back to work now.


Also,I forgot to mention this before, but I accidentally won an Eisner Award. Well, technically, COMIC BOOK TATTOO won an Eisner for Best Anthology. That's why I said 'accidentally'. Regardless, I'm honored and proud to be a part of the hard working, talented, and well-deserved group of writers and artists who were involved with the project. Thanks to RANTZ HOSELEY for letting me and Jonathan Tsuei participate in the anthology. And if you haven't yet, you should BUY yourself a copy and check out what the hubbub is all about.

So, yeah - yay, accidental Eisner!

16 comments:

Valerie Nuñez said...

Jesus and chopsticks, Eric - that looks amazing.

dogboy443 said...

Sorry E, but green is considered a secondary color along with orange and purple.
The primaries are red, yellow and blue.
The tertiary colors are your browns, blacks and mossy colors.

Dr. Spectrum

Alina Chau said...

This look GREAT!

Chris Sims said...

Never tried copics because of the price but this commision leads me to think that they are worth every penny.

Amazing!

Jhomar Soriano said...

"...I've learned to deal with it - and now, so must you."

Hahahaha-- PRICELESS!

j_ay said...

Nice!
I need to try some Copics...most of my ol' Prismacolors are drying up and the markers available here (Shin-something) kinda suck...

Rich said...

that's friggin brilliant. did you get my scans of the 3 conan pieces?

Rich said...

that's friggin sick Eric. did jason get you my scans of the 3 conan pieces from comicon?

Illink said...

Nice piece Eric! it was no accident winning a Eisner award. Right place right time u deserve it. like the new blog banner.

Darnell Johnson

randkai13 said...

You are da man!!! This exceeded all of my expectations and I cannot wait to see it in person. Thanks again!
-Scott

Chris Battle said...

Incredible!! Amazing effect on Iron Fist, too.

Dwight Clark said...

Yes indeed, Sir I love the martial dance you have artistically choreographed with these two, its quite balletic actually. Bravo! Congrats, on the Eisner as well I have seen it and I KNOW why. It really is a tasty treat!

YildirayCinar said...

You-are-amazing!!!

Mark McDonnell said...

Very beautiful man . . . you really are such a talent. It was nice meeting you as you were gliding by my booth @ the Con.

Such a talent man. Best,

MAC

Thomas Perkins said...

Man! As always, my friend, your work is super dynamic and the color work is excellent. Plus... Nice old school Iron Fist! Grewat stuff, Eric!

Reynes said...

This is an awesome piece ! I love the composition, dynamic and colors. Fabulous. Really.