“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, August 17, 2009

BILLY & THE CAPTAIN_90 minutes


"Dear Paris,

Hi! How are you? I'm doing fine, thanks. My summer is almost over and soon I will have to go back to school. I had a lot of fun during my vacation, but before the new school year starts, I will visit your country... I think. More on that later, but first I have some news!

My dear friend JASON SCHACHTER will be going there to visit you with a backpack full of my original work on his... uhm... back! Because it's a backpack! Duh! So if you ever wanted to buy and own an original drawing from me, you should write to Jason and ask him where he will be during the PARIS MANGA show on September 12-13, 2009. Please check the link for more show information. Neat-O!

I'm sad because I wish I could be there with him for the convention itself, but unfortunately I have other stuff that's gonna keep me away from there. I've never been to a convention in a different country before and I would like to see what it looks like! Is it exciting? Is it fun? I don't know! I've never been to one!

So until then, Jason (along with a folder full of my Wolverine drawings, and Captain America drawings, and Batman drawings, and Superman drawings) will go instead of me because he is handsome. And Paris? While you're at the convention, please say "Hello!" to my other handsome friends, STEPHANE ROUX and TIM SALE. They are both good people and they are also good drawers!

Okay, so you know how I said, "I think I will visit..." earlier in my letter? I said that because I am not sure I will be there at all! I know what you're thinking: "Oh, no!" But if I do end up there, I promise I will be going to the 'OUT OF PICTURE 2' EXHIBIT at the ARLUDIK GALLERY. I really do hope to meet some of you who visit my blog! Does it sound confusing to you yet? Good. I'm pretty confused too!

Anyway, it was nice talking to you, Paris. Thanks so much for reading. I hope you guys have a great new year in school and I hope you also had a wonderful summer!

Your friend,


Eric.




P.S. -This image is dedicated to my pal, DEAN TRIPPE; because he's a cool kid full of lotsa imaginations... and he's also a superhero when it comes to writing, drawing lettering, coloring, publishing, and everything! I have never met a guy who is more enthusiastic about comics than he is. He's really an awesome person and the guy is a drawer too! High five, Dean!

Okay, bye!"

10 comments:

j_ay said...

Oh man...if you were attending I'd make sure to be there (Paris is about 4 hours away by train)...one of these days I'll be able to thank you in person...

Mr Ö said...

Hello.

Same thing for me, lucky me, I'm only 2 hours by train from Paris.
And if you're coming to France, I'll be sure to make it to paris, name the date and the place and I'll be there.

While you're there don't forget to visit the Bilal Animalz exhibition at teh hotel Marcel dassault, on the Rond Point des Champs Elysée, showing, until September 13th.
http://www.artcurial.com/fr/actualite/cp/2009/2009_07_enki_bilal.asp

Best.

Laurent

Andre Szymanowicz said...

You captured the Billy Batson/Shazam dynamic very well! I never got into this character, but I just read the Jeff Smith Shazam story yesterday and was hooked.

Good luck with that Paris thing!

Lan Pitts said...

That's very cool. Dean seems like an alright guy. I hope Paris treats you well, man.

Tom said...

Great artwork and funny text, great post!

Paul Piceno said...

Hey !! Eric, so beautiful pictures... inspiring!!!! i hope see soon more work of you in comics, that Ironmas's mini series was great!!! i want to seee more man!!
it would be great meet you at the Comic Con some day and pay for a drawing. I will get in my home..anyway
saludos from México amigo
cheers
Paul Piceno

Dean Trippe said...

WHOA! Thanks Eric! That's rad beyond radness! :D

Mimi Cortazar said...

Cool blog,great art...love te comics :)

Lara West said...

OK, I have to tell you only two things:
-I'M SO SORRY for everytime you write me and I don't answer you in time;
and
-THANKS...for everything.

:*

Cheeks said...

absolutely brilliant!