“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, July 31, 2009

"SPIDER-OCK, SPIDER-OCK, FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-OCK"_commission


I'm home.

Well, I've *been* home for about a week now but this is just the first time I've managed to find the time to post.

I'm sure you've all heard or somehow seen images or even read reports about the San Diego show, so I won't go into any more detail. I mean, c'mon, seriously - can you really stand to read or see one more thing about a show that ended a week ago? So if you wanna see pictures, I'm not the one to go to because 1) I'm terrible at taking them and 2) I'm sure you can go to your social network site of choice and I'll guarantee you're find a plethora.

So instead, I'd like to take a moment to thank some of the people who helped me at the show, the kind persons who I've met and spoke to, and the general audience who swung by the table in order to show their support.

First, let me give the biggest and warmest thanks to JONBOY MEYERS for helping coordinate and facilitate my Artist Alley table. I know that was no small task considering he had to wrangle seller's permits and table applications from everyone in our row, but Jonboy's a trooper and he took that responsibility head-on. Jonboy - you're a saint and you made things very easy on me.

That brings me to the rest of the 'Rat Pack' that was in the Alley with me: MARK IRWIN, TIM TOWNSEND , JOEY MASON, DAN PANOSIAN, JEFF JOHNSON, ALEX GARNER, and ANTHONY WASHINGTON. Admittedly, I didn't get a chance to talk to all of these talented gentlemen, but I was sure proud to sit with them. I hope I can do it again someday.

Next is JASON SCHACHTER. I don't mean to make light nor make a pun out of this statement, but my time at the show, all five enjoyable days that could have been grueling like times past, was made easier and lighter because Jason did the majority (if not ALL) of the heavy lifting. I don't have the words to give him the full extent of gratitude that he deserves. He worked the table selling original art and sketchbooks, and when he wasn't doing that, he was working the muckity-mucks who dropped by, selling the hell out of my work to them. It would've been a bit of hell without Jason at the table, but anytime you can have a laugh with friends (along with my collaborator JONATHAN TSUEI) it sure makes things easier to bear.

I'd like to give my grateful and hearty thanks to the individuals who dropped by to say hello, the ones who purchased original art, or sketchbooks, or commissions - or all three, and to those who just had a kind word to say. I consider myself a little nobody, but with you guys coming by to chat it up with me, it sure felt like I was there with friends. I'd like to mention each and every one of you guys individually, but I think I would be here all day and I know there are comic book pages to finish in the other room. That said, will you all forgive me now and please accept this blanket statement of gratitude? I shall try to be more studious in thanking specific names in the future. Anyway, thank you SO much!

I met artists while I was there and I shall speak about them in great lengths in my next post because I think I've stretched this day long enough without putting pencil to paper - a fact that my editors probably wouldn't appreciate. But I my next few posts will be about those artist who I've met at the show. Uhm... that's probably a lie. Let's find out together, shall we? Hehe.

I'll speak with you all very soon. For now, here's a commission of Spiderman I did at the show.



Note: In case you didn't know it yet from SKOTTIE YOUNG'S post on his blog, I am doing Amazing Spiderman for an issue - Issue #611, I think. Please keep an eye out and order copies so Marvel will think it's a good idea that they hired me, yeah? Thanks in advance!

Oh, one more person - MR. RICO RENZI! This man is responsible for helping me coordinate, adjust, print, and ship the INT[e]RMISSION sketchbooks that was available at this year's show. Rico waved his magic printing wand and suddenly, two days later , sketchbooks ended up in my bedroom! A huge debt of gratitude goes out to you and your life-saving crew at INDIGO INK. If any of you out there are in the business of getting your property onto printed material, I strongly suggest that you give Rico and his cast of miracle workers a call first. They're professional, courteous and they are able to put a patina of slickness on your product unequaled by others out there right now.

8 comments:

Skotti said...

Woohoo!! Looks like I'll be getting an issue of Spider-man.

Ryan said...

Arr...another thing I missed out on at the con. =(

How's it going Eric? Hope you did well! I'm sure you did.

Ryan
http://ryanodagawa.blogspot.com/

virginia critchfield said...

It was a pleasure to meet you at the con and an honor to now have two of your pieces on my wall. Thank you for the continued inspiration and good luck with spiderman.

Shane said...

damn thats stellar!

OLIVER said...

very nice Spidey!!!

j_ay said...

Order just placed for Amazing Spider-Man...hopefully it will lead to more issues!
Issues of the comic(s)...not 'issues' as in "problems"...

Glad to hear you had a good time at the con.

Andre Szymanowicz said...

Thats some sweet news that you will do a Spiderman issue. I hope its just one more solid step to the big two hiring you a lot more often.

Cheeks said...

it's about time you are on that book. my most anticipated issue for a LONG time.