“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, July 05, 2009

JANET & WANDA_90 minutes


Well, not really - more like 45 minutes, but why mess with tradition?

Anyhoo - ANIME EXPO rolled into Los Angeles this July 4th weekend and I'm feeling my age because I knew less than 1% of the characters walking around wearing costumes in the convention center lobby. I was almost hoping for the Naruto legions just so I can say I knew something about anime or manga, but I guess that series has run its course. It is to say that I am old and out of the loop and the only version of 'hip' that I know is the one that keeps going out on me when I go on those long-ish weekend runs. So I didn't know any of the characters.

But let me say this (with absolutely no hint of elitism and superiority in the tone and tenor in my voice):
Regardless of your fabulousity, your strong support of manga or anime, your fanatical ideals about cosplay and your closet fantasy of dress-up being fulfilled in an arena that applauds your craftsmanship and fervor...

[sigh]

...please excersise some classy discretion regarding your costume's weight limit, Anime Expo Cosplayers.

And let me be clear - I do love seeing people dress up! How cool is it to see FELICIA or MORRIGAN in a well made costume?! That's AWESOME! But I will say as much as I LOVE seeing people dress up as their favorite characters, I don't care to see a little bit TOO MUCH of the people dressing up as their favorite characters - if you catch my drift?

Okay, I think I'm going to get off of this high-horse how; the altitude is making my nose bleed.

Oh, and this image was inspired by two mind-blowing cosplay people I met while I was in Charlotte. Yikes!



P.S. - I didn't see MAN-FAYE at AX on Friday. I am sad. Also, isn't it scary and amazing all at the same time that Man-Faye has a Wikipedia entry?

7 comments:

Lan Pitts said...

I get where you're coming from, man. Loud and clear. Then again, that's just cons in general.

Great piece, too. Jan turned out great.

Claude said...

Inspiring, as always

abhishek singh said...

love ur poses n the way u stage.
:)
beautiful

Valerie Nunez said...

Hey, Eric!

It's Val! I was at AX myself. Just wanted to say hello!

Oh, and I have acquired a blog - check it out if you don't mind.

I am very happy to know that you are doing well.

See ya, man!

http://funnybookish.blogspot.com/

RSantosJr said...

It's not an anime convention without the overweight cosplayers or the crossplayers, man.

Anything less would be uncivilized.

Nolan Woodard said...

That Scarlet Witch at HEROES asked if she could take a photo with me. The ladies loooooove the armor!

Your work is always inspiring. Thank goodness for Return of the Canete.

-kube- said...

I'm a long time fan of your works. Amazing stuff as always, thanks for the frequent posts.